• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Recover Tunnel Password from 3CX 15 Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Rademacher

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently taken over the administration of the the PBX system for our company. However, the previous admin did not leave much documentations, much less the passwords for the various systems. The main issue is that I am trying to recover the tunnel password so I can reset the phones after upgrading it to new firmware plus bring new phones into use.

This is where I am stuck since I looked though the forums and such and i could not find anything that points to how to recover it or where to look for it, since I rather not reset the proxy settings on 12 phones that is currently in use and I have 3 new phones to add, and to update all current ones to newest firmware.

So any help is aprpeciated for this.

All passwords used to be available (not sure if that has changed) if you scanned through a system backup file.

Handsets do not use the tunnel protocol unless they use SBC - the tunnel password is under Settings - Security - 3CX Tunnel

You will find the passwords for each phone - edit the extension -

Under General tab you will find the authentication username and password.

If the phone has been provisioned by 3CX, you will find the phone web frontend password under Phone Provisioning - select the correct phone and 'Phone Web Page Password'

Do you know how your phones are provisioned - local lan, SBC or STUN

What phones are you using ?

The phones are setup by SBC, since we are using Cisco 5xx series, and they are all remote, hense the use of tunnel for it. So instead of trying to reset the password in the 3CX portal, which in turn make several phones not accessible unless I get to them and get them updated manually, which I rather not due to being in several locations, hense needing to recover the password itself.

I checked though the backup dump, but I cannot seems to find any reference for the tunnel password so I can recover it to do the proper upgrade and re-provision the new phones to be added into the PBX itself.

You only have to change the tunnel password on the SBC controller , and not the phones.

I would check the settings, as these phones are not supported by SBC , stun -
https://www.3cx.com/Sip-Phones/Cisco-SPA/

The previous person may have done something old to get them to work in an unsupported way

It seems you are not familiar with those phones, since they do support SBC by proxy. Since i you check the specs on those phones, it have SBC feature to tunnel to the PBX server by proxy to have it accessible.

It is settable in the phones by the IP of the phones to set it. But you are missing the main point here, which is that I need to recover the tunnel password that is set in the 3CX PBX itself, which I need, so I do not have to disrupt all the existing phones due to changing of the password to have it accessible.

Am I missing something here?

Isn't it just settings -> Security -> 3CX Tunnel and then click on the little eye symbol?

Duh....never noticed it. Thanks for pointing it out. Thanks!

No problem - I thought I was being dense and not understanding the problem :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.