• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Ring Group issue on Cisco SPA504G phone FW 7.6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Lee

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Good Day Everyone,

I am new to the forum. My setup is on Azure using version Professional Annual 15.5.15502.6.
We have VPN between the office network with Azure 3CX VM.

The issue I am having now is Ring Group. I have a Ring Group with 4 extension using SPA504G with "All Rinig". The problem is when we dial to the Ring Group, not all phone ring. Sometime none of the phone ring, sometime 1, sometime 2, sometime 3, and sometime 4.

I already change the re-register time to 60 second and still does not work.
<Register_Expires_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration">60</Register_Expires_1_>
<Subscribe_Expires group="Attendant_Console/General">60</Subscribe_Expires>

Any chance to fix this without changing the phones?

Thanks,

Tom

What does the Activity Log show for an attempted call, when some sets don't ring? Does it attempt to send an invite to all sets? is there a reason why is doesn't? Set status, unable to reach?

Find the issue but does not know how to fix it.
On the activity log shows:

[CM503003]: Call(C:946): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from local

Once this happen the phone does not ring and wont ring next time. It will ring on the third try.

Only ext 233 ring
09/25/2018 2:37:38 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from local
09/25/2018 2:37:38 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from local
09/25/2018 2:37:19 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 487 Request Terminated/INVITE from 127.0.0.1:5080
09/25/2018 2:37:19 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 487 Request Terminated/INVITE from 127.0.0.1:5483
09/25/2018 2:37:19 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 487 Request Terminated/INVITE from 10.1.1.122:5060
09/25/2018 2:37:19 PM - [CM503003]: Call(C:952): Call to <sip:[email protected]:5060> has failed; Cause: 487 Request Terminated/INVITE from 192.168.3.123:50174

I'd upgrade the firmware. 3CX will complain but the phones are barely supported anyways. v7.6.2 firmware release notes mention this:

Disable Local Name To Header
Disables the display name in “Directory” and “Call History” in the “To” header during an outgoing call.

Ignores the CLID in the “UPDATE” message.

Redial list is populated based on 18x or 200 OK PAID header with or without Display Nam

There's some other security fixes in v7.6.2SR1-4 which would be good to have. Do one phone and see if it resolves the problem.

Why does IP 10.0.0.4 along with port 5060 show against four extensions? If you are using VPN, why is there IP 192.168.3.123 ? And Ext 233 seems to be located somewhere else altogether [email protected]

@leejor

Good catch. There are a number of subnets in there, more than one would expect wit ha SIP topology as the op describes.

@leejor
192.168.3.123 is the 3CX softphone on the computer VLan.

The problem is with the registration timeout. On the XML I need to change in 3 locations to 30 seconds. It is work now.

It confused me because <Register_Expires_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration"> appeared in the template twice.

<!--########################################################-->
<!--### SIP Settings for Identity 1 ###-->
<!--### Note: Access phone xml param console via ###-->
<!--### http://ip/admin/spacfg.xml ###-->
<!--########################################################-->

<!--# The "Register_Expires_1_" field specifies the length of time (in seconds) the phone will be registered with 3CXPS. The phone will attempt to re-register with 3CXPS before this time expires. The provisioning template sets the value to 900 (15 minutes). Valid values are any positive integer.-->
<Register_Expires_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration">30</Register_Expires_1_>

<!--######################### LAN #########################-->
<!--# Registraion and Subscribtion timerouts/renewal #-->
<!--# The field specifies the length of time (in seconds) the phone will be registered with 3CXPS. The phone will attempt to re-register with 3CXPS before this time expires. -->
<Register_Expires_1_ group="Ext_1/Proxy_and_Registration">30</Register_Expires_1_>
<Subscribe_Expires group="Attendant_Console/General">30</Subscribe_Expires>

No, the problem is firewall/NAT. You have something doing NAT between your end points and 3CX. Setting the timeout to 30 secs or lower is the same as enabling 'keep-alives' on the phone. Right now your phones register and your firewall/NAT allows return traffic for 30 seconds before dropping the state. By setting the registration to 30 seconds you are generating traffic to keep that open. The correct fix is to remove the NAT.

@cobaltit
Thanks. I think this setting on the firewall created the issue: UDP Connection Inactivity Timeout (seconds): 30

If that setting is affecting your traffic you still have NAT. That controls your state table and there is no state needed for a routed network. If all your remote phones (in that office) show up as coming from a single IP address then you are NATing and not routing. If you have a routed network your phone should have unique IP addresses in that segment.

If you have a routed network your phone should have unique IP addresses in that segment.

....or at the very least, a unique port.

I am using a route network and not using NAT to the 3CX server. All phone have unique IP addresses.
I just made the change on the firewall. Let see if any more "Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from local" issue. BTW I am using a Sonicwall. UDP Connection Inactivity Timeout setting is at the Firewall - Access Rules.

Not a Sonicwall expert (or fan for that matter) and I wouldn't expect a routed network to have to track state since that's a NAT thing where you are keeping track of the port mapping and response traffic. On a routed network with no NAT devices should be able to talk to each other at all times (ACLs not withstanding). So I still think there is some sort of NAT between the phones and 3CX.

....or at the very least, a unique port.

Nope, definitely a unique IP. On a routed (no NAT) network 3CX should see the phones exactly as it does with everything on the same subnet. Here is how it should look in your phones tab:

upload_2018-9-27_15-33-5.png

In this snip I have 3CX at 192.168.100.1 on one subnet and I have computers on another subnet (192.168.50.0/24). So 3CX sees the devices on the same subnet with their true IP and devices on teh other subnet (which are 3CX soft phones) on their true IP. This is just two VLANs so there is no network between them as you would have in a a routed network with a PtP tunnel but the visibility in 3CX is the same.

confirmed: It was the Sonicwall. UDP Connection Inactivity Timeout setting is at the Firewall - Access Rules. I increased it to 120 seconds. All the phone work with the default templates. No more random unringed phones.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Nice.. thanks for the update.

Glad to see the issue has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.