• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Rebooting server can trigger license failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russter

Reaction score
Greetings all! I've received the email "ordering" me to upgrade my 3CX Windows system from v14 to the current v15 or suffer the consequences regarding license deactivation. I have two questions:

1) I've heard that a simple restart of the Windows server (the Hyper-V guest VM or the host) will attempt reactivation, which will fail due to the expired certificates, and reduce my 3CX to the free mode. Is this true? It doesn't seem plausible to me. Can anyone confirm?

2) I'm happy to upgrade using the simple-sounding backup-restore process provided by 3CX, and I know about the port changes. But how can I be sure my system will still function? We use many "unsupported" phones, and the SIP provider is not on the supported list. (Even though all this was set up by a 3CX Reseller who is no longer in the picture.) On the plus side, it's a very basic system using no advanced features, everything is standard SIP, and has worked fine for 4 years using manual provisioning, which we're fine with. There doesn't seem to be a way to test or undo this upgrade. Can anyone confidently recommend I just go for it?

Thanks for any insights.

its in a vm, so make a snapshot and do a test run.

as for the unsupported phones, the manual provisioning is just harder as the username is a random number now.

1) I've heard that a simple restart of the Windows server (the Hyper-V guest VM or the host) will attempt reactivation, which will fail due to the expired certificates, and reduce my 3CX to the free mode. Is this true? It doesn't seem plausible to me. Can anyone confirm?
Please note that restarting the system will not cause your system to revert to free unless there is a hardware change detected.

2) I'm happy to upgrade using the simple-sounding backup-restore process provided by 3CX, and I know about the port changes. But how can I be sure my system will still function? We use many "unsupported" phones, and the SIP provider is not on the supported list. (Even though all this was set up by a 3CX Reseller who is no longer in the picture.) On the plus side, it's a very basic system using no advanced features, everything is standard SIP, and has worked fine for 4 years using manual provisioning, which we're fine with. There doesn't seem to be a way to test or undo this upgrade. Can anyone confidently recommend I just go for it?
Please note that if you restore the V14 backup all your usernames and passwords will be transferred over to V15.5 so your phones will continue to work. I would not recommend using unsupported devices but your devices will continue to work. You will have a warning as your current passwords will not meet the minimum requirements for V15.5 but the system will not change them for you. From your description i see no reason for concern but you can always take a snapshot of the instance for peace of mind.

Thank you very much Yiannis, I feel better about doing the upgrade now.

One last thing I'd like to confirm before doing this tonight: I'm confused about the FQDN that will be linked to the license.

Right now on v14, I we're using what I think is called split-DNS: the FQDN (pbx.mycompany.org) on our Internet domain host DNS is pointing to our public static IP for the 3CX server. On the internal LAN, a local DNS server includes the same FQDN pointing to the local IP address of the same server.

The manual for v15 says that during install, I have to bind the license to a FQDN. But I have the Standard version of 3CX, which means I can't do this with my own FQDN, I have to use a 3CX-provided FQDN and certificate. Is this a different FQDN than the pbx.mycompany.org I described above? Or does the new 3CX FQDN replace my current split-DNS situation?

In other words, for a Standard license upgading to v15, will there be two different FQDNs: one new 3CX-supplied name used just for secure communication with 3CX, and the old custom FQDN used in public and private DNS to find the local 3CX server?

The installer does bind your key with an FQDN and if you are using a standard licence you will need to choose a 3CX FQDN. The 3CX FQDN will not be the same as your FQDN as it will have a 3cx.xx suffix. You can still use your local FQDN to point the phones to the PBX but the public FQDN will be a 3CX one.

Ok great, now it makes sense.
Thanks for your quick help!

Glad i could help. Let us know if you face any issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICT BE Peleman
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.