• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Outbound rule from extension should use a particular DID (flowroute)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkjencin

Free User
Reaction score
OK, I know this is a stupid question.

I have two DIDs at Flowroute. One is the main number for the switchboard. The second number (ending in 2264) rings directly to my extension 00. I have set this up as follows: I have one trunk in 3CX called Flowroute. The main trunk number is the switchboard. Both DIDs are listed in the DIDs tab of the Flowroute trunk. Under inbound rules, I tell 3CX that all calls to the second number (*2264) should forward to my extension. It works great.

Now I want to be able to dial out from my extension and have Flowroute use the second number 2264 to make the call. I understand that I should be able to create an outbound rule saying that calls from extension 00 should use a particular route. The problem is that the only route I have is Flowroute, which seems to be routing everything from the main switchboard number. How do I create the correct outbound rule?

This is not an outbound rule issue.You only have one trunk group, all outbound calls will go over that trunk group. What you need to do is to put the full DID number in the Outside Caller ID setting for that extension. It will then be displayed on all outside calls if, the provider allows it, and the trunk settings match what your provider expects (caller ID in the correct field).

I set the CNAM for both the DIDs at Flowroute. However, all outgoing calls seem to be using the CNAM of the switchboard. Is this to be expected, and why is this happening?

Second question. Regarding the Caller ID suggestion above, how does that interact with the CNAM to change what is displayed to the called party?

Flowroute can absolutely explain this all to you as well as advise you what settings you need to change to do what you want.

Hello @lkjencin

Assuming that you used the included template to setup the trunk then the correct settings are already there. You just need to add the second DID as the Outbound caller ID of your extension. Then when you call out from your extension the PBX will send your number in the Invite to the provider.
If that does not work then as suggested contact your provider and ask then why this is failing.

The Outbound Caller ID on the General tab of the extension does not seem to have any effect. Rather, the CNAM of the switchboard (the first DID in the SIP trunk on 3CX) is displayed. Clearly, all calls are going out over the main trunk number.

I suppose I could create another trunk in 3CX with just the extension's DID, and route all outgoing calls from my extension over that trunk.

Which trunk provider is known to work best with 3CX? This seems to be a very basic problem that everyone would have.

Last edited:
It may simply be the number, set against that trunk, that is being sent on all calls. That may be happening for a couple of reasons. First, your provider must allow you to send a Caller ID other than the main billing number. If they do, then there may be an option in the trunk outbound settings that has to be changed. This change will determine where Caller Id is to be taken from (source) and in what field it is sent to the provider.

The message that is displayed to the receiving party is WIDGETS INC. which is exactly the CNAM that I have set at Flowroute. However, somehow the outgoing phone number seems to also be available to called parties, because sometimes I am told to call back using *2264 (for instance a bank requires this).

The Invite includes this line:

From: "Donald Duck"<sip:[email protected]:5060>;tag=324556345433

So I guess 3CX does not seem to have a way to tell Flowroute which outgoing number to route a call over. It seems that SIP can just set a text Caller ID, but has no way to request a particular outgoing DID.

The idea of adding a second trunk is a non-starter, because 3CX does not allow two trunks with the same SIP provider.

I really don't know how to solve this problem, and to figure out what SIP parameters to tell 3CX to set for Flowroute. Again, is there a better SIP provider?

Last edited:
The message that is displayed to the receiving party is WIDGETS INC. which is exactly the CNAM that I have set at Flowroute. However, somehow the outgoing phone number seems to also be available to called parties, because sometimes I am told to call back using *2264 (for instance a bank requires this).

The Invite includes this line:

From: "Donald Duck"<sip:[email protected]:5060>;tag=324556345433

So I guess 3CX does not seem to have a way to tell Flowroute which outgoing number to route a call over. It seems that SIP can just set a text Caller ID, but has no way to request a particular outgoing DID.

The idea of adding a second trunk is a non-starter, because 3CX does not allow two trunks with the same SIP provider.

I really don't know how to solve this problem, and to figure out what SIP parameters to tell 3CX to set for Flowroute. Again, is there a better SIP provider?

I use Flowroute, and am able to specify the outbound caller ID for an extension, and it works as expected. Specifically, if I put 8085551111 in the "Outbound Caller ID" field for an extension, and then make a call from that extension, the number that is presented to the receiving phone is 8085551111, and the CNAM that is associated with that number in the CNAM database is displayed on the receiving phone. I used the 3CX template for Flowroute. Didn't have to do anything special on the Flowroute end. So, with everything set up with the defaults, it does work. The number that I put in the Outbound Caller ID field can be a number of a DID in my account at Flowroute, or any other number, for example my cell phone number. Flowroute passes whatever number I enter in that field to the called party.

If your set up is like mine, but doesn't work, I would contact Flowroute support and see if they can help diagnose. Maybe a problem at their end.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
@lkjencin Either you didn't use the Flowroute template or you somehow changed trunk settings in 3CX or Flowroute that is causing this issue. Basically you need to talk to Flowroute to find out what fields they are pulling the caller-id from and then you need to tell 3CX to put it there. The template should have done that for you already so something is amiss.

Anyway, Flowroute support pointed me at the problem. For anyone else struggling with this, you need to look at the activity log, in particular the From: line:

From: "Donald Duck"<sip:[email protected]:5060>;tag=233b5a04

The part after the sip: is the important part. In my case, this had been my extension 00 because I had changed my Outbound parameters. It needs to be your 11-digit DID. Then, to quote Flowroute support:

You are clearly sending 00 as the outbound digits.

We do not control and are not capable of setting your caller id.

This must be set in your equipment.

Pleas adjust your equipment to send the phone number you want to show up on the far end, then create/set the CNAM preset to the outbound number you are sending. From there it is up to the receiving carrier to query the CNAM DB to pull the CNAM

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Here you go. I did change the From: Display Name to Custom. I left the custom field blank. That is only to prevent the display name from being passed to FR. I don't think it has any other effect. All remaining fields are "Leave default value".

I looked at the activity log, but don't see the extension caller ID value being passed. I've got the logging set to medium. The Invite that I see in the log appears to be from the extension to 3CX, not to Flowroute.

upload_2018-10-18_21-40-14.png

Glad to see the issue has been resolved and thank you for updating the thread with your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.