• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Voicemail transcription: Bing speech API retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Today, I received an email from Microsoft indicating that the Bing speech API is no longer getting updates and will be retired in a year.
Does 3cx have plans to support the recommended move to azure speech services?

Here is the relevant text from Microsoft

Bing Speech API will be retired on October 15, 2019—migrate to Speech Services and Speech SDK
You’re receiving this email because you currently use the Cognitive Services Bing Speech API.

We recently released the generally available Speech Services API and Speech SDK which allow you to add speech-enabled features to your apps. Because Speech Services and Speech SDK each fully replaces the existingBing Speech API capabilities, Bing Speech will be retired as a standalone service on October 15, 2019. As with all changes of this type, we’re providing 12 months’ notice so you have adequate time to adjust.

To continue using the capabilities of Bing Speech, please migrate to Speech Services by October 15, 2019. We encourage you to make the switch sooner, to gain the richer benefits of Speech Services. In addition to the Bing Speech features you’re already familiar with, Speech Services includes:

• Speech-to-text (speech recognition), intent, translation, and text-to-speech capabilities.
  • A REST API that works with any programming language that can make HTTP requests.

Key dates
Beginning October 15, 2018, we will no longer make updates to Bing Speech and its corresponding client librariesand REST APIs. New subscription keys will no longer be available; however, your existing keys can be renewed in the Azure portal.

On October 15, 2019, Bing Speech will be retired and no longer be available.

Yep.. we all did. There's 12 months to figure it out and I'm sure 3CX will do something before then.

The way I read it, we don't really have 12 months to figure it out; it's already an issue. The fact that it states that as of 10/15/18 no new subscription keys will be available is an immediate problem for partners trying to deploy new systems.

Reactions: Molan21
@new15 Well I still wouldn't really call it an issue but yeah I wasn't thinking about that, just the existing customers. But for new, it frankly doesn't work all that well (see this post https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/voicemail-transcription-funny-but-useless.60206/) and if it happens to hit you mid sales cycle you can simply reference the email so your customer understands it's something outside of your/3CX control. But I imagine since the framework is already there we'll probably see the ability to use the new API in the next 3CX update.

+1 interested if 3CX is aware and actively working on a migration plan

Hello,
Please note that we are aware of this and we are already working on an solution for this.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems I am out of luck since I just signed up a new Speech Services account and will have to wait for the 3CX update. Hopefully they release it quickly

Thanks for all the replies. It seems I am out of luck since I just signed up a new Speech Services account and will have to wait for the 3CX update. Hopefully they release it quickly

me too, +1

This is DEFINITELY an issue that 3CX needs to address ASAP. The service will only work for folks that created their API key PRIOR to October 15, 2018. So, I have two VERY large customers that just bought 3CX and this was one of their primary requirements for a phone system. Now that we are in the implementation phase, we are stuck until 3CX fixes this. From what I read here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/speech-service/overview

Microsoft still supports everything to make this work, 3CX just needs to update the integration OR they need to STOP advertising that 3CX has this feature when it no longer does.

3CX has NO idea how important of a feature this is. Before you had it we lost SEVERAL sales to other phone systems over this one feature. Now to have it stop working after we sold folks on the feature is totally unacceptable. Buckle down and re-write your API integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.