• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Need new calls to ring while phone in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARLEY JAFFE

Customer
Reaction score
I know that this topic seems to be discussed exhaustively however I am unable to get the updated parameter ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP working on my Grandstream GXP2170 device with a RingGroup. We are looking for very basic functionality from 3cx; two DID's going to two Ring Groups each with a set of phones. If there is a 3rd party add on that I can purchase to achieve this functionality I would love to hear about it.

Do you have two line keys, assigned to the same extension, on the set? Is the extension set to allow more than one call?

Use of that option (ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP) is not recommended as it can cause ...
  • Calls getting 'stuck'
  • People leaving VMails and the vmail files being blank'
  • Same as the above for recordings
  • Issue with attended transfers.
  • Calls unexpectedly dropping when being transferred.
(The above issues are from a past post by 3CX)

Last edited:
  • Did you make sure to turn ‘-allow multiple calls’ under each extensions forwarding rules?

• Did you make sure to turn ‘-allow multiple calls’ under each extensions forwarding rules?
This solved the problem. I'm a bit confused on if I even need the parameter changed. I'm not clear on what that changed.

Thanks for the help

i'm on sp6 and don't see that option under extensions forwarding rules. am i looking in the right place? 3cx web portal > extensions > forwading rules?

As I recall....If you have more than one key (same extension number) the set, and you are using one line, additional ring group calls will normally not ring the second appearance. Can't remember off-hand if it also affected a second line key, set as a different extension number, but part of the same ring group.

The Parameter only affects Ring Groups/Queue call and requires the "Accept multiple calls" feature to be enabled.

The "Accept multiple calls" by default, however, only affects direct incoming calls - either via DID, IVR or Transferred Calls.

i'm on sp6 and don't see that option under extensions forwarding rules. am i looking in the right place? 3cx web portal > extensions > forwading rules?
Yep - under "Options" within the Forwarding Rules Tab.
"Accept multiple calls"

thanks craig, i was looking passed it.

i was interested in this thread because i have an issue where i have some extensions in a ring group. when call comes in and one person in the group takes it, then another call comes in and the person that just took the last call hangs up that call during the ringing of the new call, this persons phone does not ring even though everyone else in the ring group is ringing.

i thought perhaps this option would fix that but after reading a bit more, it does not look like it's what i'm looking for.

hate to hijack a thread but any ideas on that issue?

Setting both options should do exactly what you are attempting.

an
thanks craig, i was looking passed it.

i was interested in this thread because i have an issue where i have some extensions in a ring group. when call comes in and one person in the group takes it, then another call comes in and the person that just took the last call hangs up that call during the ringing of the new call, this persons phone does not ring even though everyone else in the ring group is ringing.

i thought perhaps this option would fix that but after reading a bit more, it does not look like it's what i'm looking for.

hate to hijack a thread but any ideas on that issue?

An unconventional way to address this is replace ring groups with call queues, sometimes even a small dept with only 1 phone gets its own call queue, have a long timeout and a menu option to go back to the main ivr, even have the ivr handle all the hours so the dept never has to leave the que.

i guess i must addressed this issue before, i just checked the 4 extensions that are in one ring group and the two options "Accept multiple calls" and "Accept calls from Ring Groups" are set for all of them. are those two options what you're talking about?

i'll have to test because i'm not sure if person #1 answers call #1 and call #2 comes in and person #1 hangs up call #1, if call #2 will be ringing on person #1's extension.

i'll test and see what i find out

thanks

i have some extensions in a ring group. when call comes in and one person in the group takes it, then another call comes in and the person that just took the last call hangs up that call during the ringing of the new call, this persons phone does not ring even though everyone else in the ring group is ringing.

If someone in a ring group hangs up while a ring group call is ringing other members, their extension will not ring. There is no "re-poll" to see if an extension is now idle, that only happens when each call first comes in. You can use a queue instead.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Hello @Shawn

As @leejor mentioned if a call comes in a Ring Group while an extension is on a call and that extension hangs up the Ring Group will poll that agent. You will need to use Queues for that to work.

This solved the problem. I'm a bit confused on if I even need the parameter changed. I'm not clear on what that changed.

Thanks for the help
Glad to see the issue has been resolved. Please note that the option "Accept multiple calls" enables the extension to accept more that one call at the same time. But this only applies for direct calls to extension. For Ring Groups you also need to adjust the parameter but please note that this is not supported and could cause unexpected behaviour as mentioned above so i would recommend testing everything before using it.

Unfortunately I found the unexpected behavior... disabling the ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP parameter fixed the issue but now I don't have the functionality. Maybe other have had this issue and have other solutions?

When the parameter was set, we were unable to hear anything on ~20% of calls that came from the ring group. On one call, we waited maybe 45 seconds and then could hear someone on the other line (not sure if we would have had the same outcome with the other calls). We also experienced "phantom rings" where after hanging up the phone would start ringing again. We are using Grandstream GXP2170 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.