• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Outbound Caller ID setting for Voip.ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatar

Trainee Partner
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help with setting up the outbound caller id for my 3cx which is connected to VOIP.ms SIP trunk.

Basically, When I call somebody from my 3CX, they said the Name was not displayed, but only the number.

How can i set up my cloud hosted 3CX so it shows a business name at all for outdoor Caller ID name, doesn't matter which extension it is called from. I have around 6 extensions.

Last edited:
I contacted Voip.MS, they do pass on the name but they told me to talk to 3CX about it.

@rsatar Regardless if they pass on the name or not, that doesn't mean the receiving end will see it. On-net calls will probably see it but off-net won't. The way CNAM works is you publish the name that corresponds with your phone number in a database. When the receiving carrier receives the call, they query the database for the CID matching the number. The link @leejor provided covers this:

CNAM Initiation and Updates
VoIP.ms cannot provide this service to all numbers so please contact [email protected] to make sure they can for your number.

This process can take up to 15 business days and you should always test the CNAM with calling a landline.

CallerID Name (CNAM) is an string of 15 alphanumeric characters that are associated with a given CallerID number.

I contacted Voip.MS, they do pass on the name but they told me to talk to 3CX about it.
If you provider supports this then please navigate to the Outbound parameters of the trunk settings and set the value of the From: Display Name field to "Custom Field". In the empty box that will appear type your company's name and confirm the changes by pressing OK. Give it a try and let us know if that works.
2018-10-19_12h18_35.png

If you provider supports this then please navigate to the Outbound parameters of the trunk settings and set the value of the From: Display Name field to "Custom Field". In the empty box that will appear type your company's name and confirm the changes by pressing OK. Give it a try and let us know if that works.
View attachment 8839

that did not work.

Basically i want all the extensions to show the same business name and number of our company when they call out but at the same time i want to assign each extension their own first name and last name for internal calls and for identification....i don't want to use the 'First Name, Last Name" of each extension for outbound caller name ID.

Last edited:
The way CNAM works is you publish the name that corresponds with your phone number in a database. When the receiving carrier receives the call, they query the database for the CID matching the number.

It will usually work that way if no name is sent by the originator. I have generally found that, if a name is sent, (accepted by the originating provider) it will override the name lookup (any name in a database). But, there is no hard and fast rule that every end provider must follow.

@leejor

Every single carrier I've ever used works this way. The only time I've seen this differ is for on-net net calls. I don't think I've ever used a carrier that passed the CID name off-net. It would be interesting to know of a carrier that does if you can remember who you've seen this behavior with. Might benefit some people.

Basically i want all the extensions to show the same business name and number of our company when they call out but at the same time i want to assign each extension their own first name and last name for internal calls and for identification....i don't want to use the 'First Name, Last Name" of each extension for outbound caller name ID.

So again, talk to VoIP.ms. Pushing the CID name on the trunk does nothing for the internal calls. So if you aren't currently seeing the extension names on internal calls you have something else amiss or you have 3CX or local phone address books overriding what the phone is sending. The external number for off-net calls is controlled by what you've PAID your provider to publish in most cases although apparently sometimes carriers will pass and accept CID name pushed from the PBX per leejor. But to have consistent behavior in all scenarios you need to PAY Voip.ms to update the CNAM which would cover off-net and then use the same name in the custom field as @YiannisH_3CX posted. Long story short, if you haven't paid Voip.ms for CNAM update per the article linked to you, stop posting here that it doesn't work.

Here is a site you can use to see what is published for your nunmber: https://www.calleridtest.com/

Twilio also has a paid lookup you can use.

that did not work.

Set the From: Display back to "OriginatorCallerID" and change the Remote Party ID - Calling Party: Display Name to "Custom field" and try again. If that still does not work you will need to contact Voip.ms and ask them if this is supported and if this is a paid service.

2018-10-22_11h50_54.png

Reactions: kyle_thompson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.