• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ring group while members have different office hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartek

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have multiple users in a ring group. A call reaches this ring group if the receptionist didn't answer the phone (for whatever reason).

Now each member of this group will have different office hours, and they are often outside so they use 3CX on their smartphones. The problem is the following : if I call one of them with their direct number and it's outside of their office hours, I land on their voicemail (normal). But if I call the receptionist, and she doesn't answer, they will have a call on there smartphone regardless if it's their office hours or not.

Isn't there a way that a ring group only rings users during there office hours and not outside of their office hours ?

Hello @smartek

I am assuming that when the users are outside of office hours they switch the status on the extensions. If that is the case then under the forwarding rules of the extensions there is an option under each status called "Accept calls from Ring Groups". If that is enabled then extensions will be able to receive calls even if they switch to that status. If that option is not enabled then when an extension is on that status Ring groups calls will not come through.

Hi YiannisH,

Thanks for your quick response !

Unfortunately, this is the typical client that wants to do the minimum effort, so now, they would appreciate to not have to switch status manually and even though i do understand your suggestion, I have to agree that it would be nice that 3CX doesn't ring an extension if the call happens outside the hours of that extension, regardless how the call arrive to them (direct call, ring group, ...).

So I assume this is not possible to do automatically ?

Or maybe I can use the Auto Switch feature ? But I'm not sure how to apply it ...

Thanks for your help !

You can do this automatically using the office hours. You can set global office hours or individual office hours per extension. You can then enable the Auto Switch option under extension settings.
The extension will then switch to available during office hours, to Away during break times and to DND during out of office hours. This way the extensions will switch status automatically based on office hours. https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/time-day-routing/

Hi Yiannish,

Thanks for your input !

Just a final question because now i'm discovering the auto switch feature : one can configure office hours in inbound rules but also in the extension. Is there any recommendation which one to use ? Does it make any difference ?

For the option "This extension uses Global Office Hours", I suppose it's the Office hours defined in Settings, or is it the Office Hours defined in the Inbound Rules ?

Last edited:
Just a final question because now i'm discovering the auto switch feature : one can configure office hours in inbound rules but also in the extension. Is there any recommendation which one to use ? Does it make any difference ?
It depends on what you want to achieve. The extensions can also use break times to switch to Away while trunks and inbound rules stay open during break times. Depending on your needs you can set up office hours to either or both.

For the option "This extension uses Global Office Hours", I suppose it's the Office hours defined in Settings, or is it the Office Hours defined in the Inbound Rules ?
Yes if you set the extensions to use the global office hours they will use the office hours set under Settings / Timezone & Office Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DS42064
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.