• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Cannot load license information. "3CX failed to establish a TCP connection to activation.3cx.com."

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy_harry

Reaction score
When trying to load the license information, we get the following error message: "3CX failed to establish a TCP connection to activation.3cx.com."

I've seen several forum posts on this so I have already tried setting the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 but this did not solve the issue. Below are the pertinent facts:

• Server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Hyper-V VM and was recently migrated to new hardware via a Hyper-V live migration.
  • A new DC was recently added to the network. The DNS settings on the 3CX VM point to 8.8.8.8 for the primary and the IP of the new DC for the secondary. We've tried removing the IP of the DC completely as a test and it did not make a difference.
  • The Windows firewall is disabled.
  • The hardware firewall is a SonicWALL TZ400. The firewall rules all appear to be correct and the status indicator next to "Firewall" on the 3CX dashboard is green.
  • Nothing is being blocked when trying to activate the license according to the SonicWALL logs.
  • We have tried rebooting the Windows OS and the 3CX services. It has not made a difference.
  • activation.3cx.com resolves to 151.80.125.88 when doing a tracert.
What am I missing?

What version of 3CX?

I've also noticed that it is unable to check for software updates.

You need to be on the latest 15.5 sp6 (15.5.15502.6) as from October 7th all older systems wouldn't be able to get to the activation servers.

What @AverageAs said. Activation servers had some SSL changes that necessitated systems be on SP6/Update 6 to communicate.

Hello @happy_harry

As mentioned you need to upgrade to the latest version to be able to activate your licence. Please upgrade to SP6 and let us know if that resolved your issue.

Thanks, this is probably the issue. Since I cannot download the update through the dashboard, is it safe to install the update by running the installer found here? https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/webrtc-web-phone/

Or will that overwrite the current configuration?

Please follow the steps below and let me know if that works:

1. Make a Backup of your PBX and copy the backup outside of the machine. Since this is running on Hyper-V you can also get a snapshot.
  2. Download:
    https://downloads-global.3cx.com/downloads/3CXWindowsV15.5.6Updater.zip
  3. Extract ZIP to desktop
  4. Run "WinUpdater.exe" as Administrator (otherwise the tool will not start)
  5. Follow onscreen information

Alright, we've tried running the update but it failed. The logs show the following:

Code:
2018/10/22 07:49:19.982|0001| Cleaning folder C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Updates
2018/10/22 07:49:21.223|0001| SP link: https://downloads-global.3cx.com/downloads/v155/sp150/PatchX10_64.zip
2018/10/22 07:49:42.312|0001| Cannot download file, Exception:System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network [2600:1901:0:9ab3::]:443
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Updater1.Program.MainThread(String DownloadFrom, String DownloadTo)

I can ping downloads-global.3cx.com with no problem, but I cannot download the file from the browser on the phone server. I can download it from another VM with no problems.

Last edited:
if you can download the update via the link on another machine, why don't you just transfer it to the 3cx server and follow YiannisH_3CX advice.

also, if you can download the file elsewhere but not on the 3cx server, are you sure your 3cx server is correctly connected to the internet?

Can you disable IPv6 on your NIC and try again? The error appears to be IPv6 related

Good morning,

I have the same issue with not being able to download the SP6 update and now not having access to the license due to still being on SP5.
I'm running the server on Linux, would you be able to point me to the manual update procedure for this?

Thanks a lot!

have the same issue with not being able to download the SP6 update and now not having access to the license due to still being on SP5.
I'm running the server on Linux, would you be able to point me to the manual update procedure for this?
Please note that you can upgrade through SSH by performing:
  1. apt-get update
  2. apt-get upgrade
This will install the latest version of the PBX. As always make sure that you have a full backup of the system stored somewhere safe.

Looks like the issue was twofold. First of all, we could not update the licensing due to the software being out of date.

Secondly, we could not run the update due to an improperly configured firewall NAT rule that was blocking the update from downloading properly.

After we corrected the firewall issue and installed the update, the licensing updated successfully.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Glad to see the issue has been resolved and thank you for updating the thread with your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.