• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

lots of fanvil x4 firmware upgrades failing after sp6 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Free User
Reaction score
fyi,

i just went the few iterations from sp2 to sp6 and once i got there all my x4 firmwares were out of date and needed to be updated. i updated them through the 3cx web portal. i would say over 50% of them failed where they phone did not update to the latest firmware 2.4.0.5572. i think i was at around 2.2 on most phones

the phones that failed the update were stuck in a state where they did not register with 3cx but did get an ip from the dhcp server. if i tried to reboot it through the phone itself it said something about "upgrade failed, do not reboot", i got the same message if i tried to reboot the phone through its web ui.

to get them back in a working state, i had to manually update the firmware from the web ui using firmware obtained from 3cx here:

https://www.3cx.com/support/phone-firmwares/

most of them did come back to life but 4 of them seemed to have been bricked where they are not very responsive. for example, the display is working but portions are missing or the clock is there but is very light where it can't be seen. the bricked phones are not accessible via the web ui but most have ip addresses.

i'm not sure what happened here but just sharing my experience. i am working on getting these back up but i have a feeling i'll just have to replace them

by the way, i'm not sure if it makes a difference but i am using a custom template to remove the mwi and headset blf's from the first screen so i can replace them with shared parking location blf (through the custom template and not from the blf tab of the extension in 3cx)

does anyone know of another way besides the web ui to install new firmware into fanvil x4 phones?

the new 3cx firmware that comes with sp6 has rendered some of my phones useless. one is reporting as a X5 (but it's an x4) and the web ui is not accessible (but it has an ip)
others have corrupted web ui's that are giving 500 web server errors when browsing around. i don't have the tabs across the top to get to the firmware update screen

shawn - tried clearing browser cache?

yeah, i think i'm well beyond that. there is definitely something wrong with the new firmware how sp6 deploys it to the phone. like i said about 50% of the phones go into limbo when updated from the 3cx portal. then updating them manually with the same version 3cx firmware works most of the time but now i have 4 phones that did not respond well that way either and they are pretty much toast. i'm looking to see if there is a way to update the firmware on these phones without being able to connect to the phone web ui

i have one phone that now has a faded first display but the menus are bright, the blf keys are not right even after a factory reset and i am not able to connect to the web ui but it is reporting to 3cx as a new x5 even though it's an x4

thanks craig for the recommendation.

craig, by the wayi tried accessing them from another work station and got the same results

i found another phone that had a failed firmware update however this one, i was able to get the web ui and downgraded to an older fanvil firmware version and now it works fine.

now i'm working on setting up a ftp server according to the post above and will see how that works

when i started the firmware updates, i did 3 independent of each other and only one worked via 3cx web portal, the other two i had to update manually but the manual method worked find. then i did a couple of 3 simultaneous batches and they worked the same.

so then i did the remaining 30 or so phones in a mass update and was left with 4 phones that are bricked and hopefully will come back to life with this ftp method.

not the greatest experience so far.

Given that the thread you reference is a couple of years old and that there aren't lots of Fanvil X4 users having exactly the same problem as you since updating (although it's possible you might just be the first of many) I would suspect that this is something specific to your setup.

Could I suggest that when you try and un-brick your phones you use the current firmware posted on the 3CX website (not the same version from the Fanvil website) and see if this makes a difference?

well, i found this in the forum. perhaps this is not an isolated incident.

incidentally, there was no stated solution after the thread went private?
The issue mentioned in that thread was related to a older Fanvil firmware and a previous 3CX version so it does not really apply to your situation. I would recommend creating a ticket with our support department regarding this so they can check the PBX configuration and the log files to try and find why the update is failing.

I had the same problem. I solved this way:
- manual update of the firmware to version 2.8.0.6249
-provisioning from 3CX -> ok
- in the phones page it is reported that the firmware is not supported
- select the phones and update the firmware
- the phones are back to version 2.4.0.5572, and they work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.