• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Android - Exit without Push option vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to force kill, just 'Deactivate' the current user.

Tap user name (top left)
Long touch to select the desired account
Select 'Deactivate'/'Activate' as required
Optionally - double tap the back button to exit the app

Plainly, 3CX have decided to bring the Android and iOS versions much closer together - it's just a shame that they couldn't come clean and admit that 'Exit without PUSH' was being dumped deliberately. So now same as iPhone version - if no account is activated, then phone won't ring.

PS - it seems bob222 and I were typing at exactly the same time - spooky!

Last edited:
Ok, I guess this is a little easier than force kill the app once you know that this is an option.

But, this is going to be a problem to educate users about, because it is not intuitive especially users who are normally office based and only use the mobile app once in a while. Once we have told them - menu, exit without push, as long as they can remember to look at the menu then it is obvious to them and very easy.

But for them to remember that instead of look in menu, first tap on your user name (no reason for them to think this would do anything), then long tap on your account (again no logical reason for them to think this would be needed as all they want to do is exit the app), then Deactivate (they may be worried this is a permanent deactivation). Then next time they want to use it they can't until they've repeated these steps again and activate....

Absolute madness and will just annoy people using it. We want to open the app if we are out of the office and need to make a call or be able to receive calls, then close it and it be properly closed unless we open it again otherwise phone rings outside of work and in the night, or find mobile ringing as well as desk phone when back in the office which people don't want! I appreciate some users use it as a permanently on extension and so can't understand our complaint, but I'm sure many use it ad-hoc like we do and will find this a major problem. As an employer you do not want complaints from your employees that you are intruding on their personal life because they are unable to stop their phone from ringing 24hrs a day outside their work hours and they can't find any easy option in the menu to stop it!

Reactions: Vahur and Strasser
I agree it's not exactly intuitive, but once you've seen it, it works fine, for me anyway. I like the IOS app way the best - just a checkbox. Very quick and easy. It would be great to have it work the same way in Android app.

A new statement of 3CX would be awesome..
Please remove this "feature", it's not wanted at all.

Went to work today, had my 3cx App completely closed in the Background and it started to ring along with my deskphone suddenly.
WHO did think that was a good idea?

An option to en/disable the "new" Push method is the least everybody expects.
Just do it, everybody will thank you @ 3CX !

Reactions: cjtrevor
I don't see what the fuss is about. I tap on my account at the upper left of screen, then long press the account description. On the menu that pops up, I tap "Deactivate". Works for me -- 3CX no longer rings. To go back online, I tap "Activate". What am I missing?
Aaahh the secret sauce... I tried that approach but didn't try the old Long Press...
However fundamentally the option to do this should be clear and intuitive.
DND works as well but a lot of the time I am in office and just don't want my phone app to ring.
So I still believe there should be a user friendly way to DND just the app - not my extension.
Also - I might want to make a call outbound quickly with out going through these other ways to silence a ring.
BTW - we use ring all as even in an office of 14 people anyone can answer the phone. This is very typical of small businesses we work with. Weekends/nights we answer as well when appropriate.

Reactions: Biochemisch
Please bring back this one-click menu option.
Ours clients are used to it and use it a lot.

Activating/deactivating the account is just clunky.

I don't see what the fuss is about. I tap on my account at the upper left of screen, then long press the account description. On the menu that pops up, I tap "Deactivate". Works for me -- 3CX no longer rings. To go back online, I tap "Activate". What am I missing?

Just tried in my Android app, and this does work. A little less convenient than the former "Exit without Push" option, but a good workaround.

Really need to bring back exit and ignore push for both iPhone and Android. Made it very users to not be bothered with multiple phones ringing when they were at their desks.

Although I was able to figure this out rather quickly, most of our clients will not once they see it not there. Plus the exit without Push allows for quick re-enabling when on the go. Please peel back this change as it is a downgrade in functionality.

Reactions: Robert Elcombe
I would also like the option back in the menu to "exit and ignore push". I'm sure i'm now going to start getting calls and emails from all my customers that use the android app :-(

I've had an uprising of users this morning regarding this feature. Please bring back this feature as users would rather not have to do more than they need to to stop calls coming through on a device. The exit without push was nice and simple for all. I will however pass on the alternative method to them.

please give us back the two buttons!!

We trained all our users to "Exit - ignore push" to preserve battery life when the mobile app isn't needed. That was hard enough as it is with that being an actual menu option. It might seem intuitive to try a long-press to some of us, but you try explaining to someone how long a long-press is.

Basically, could we please have the Exit - ignore push option back please?

Reactions: Robert Elcombe
Thank you @bob222 I didn't realize you could do this. Works for me!

As the beta won't reflect the final release, the "Exit without PUSH" will likely make it back in for the final release.

Well it likely didn't make it back in the final release! This answer was given back in September, this just makes the problem more frustrating because 3cx could have prevented this.

A reply from 3cx in this thread would be appreciated and needed.

What you are missing is, that this takes about 100% longer than the older method and therefore isn't effective or wanted. Nice you were also able to find a workaround but it's not more then that sadly.

I signed up for a community account just to comment on this.

This is a serious problem - the kind of thing that actually motivates me to think about checking out other software PBX options than 3CX. It needs to be fixed ASAP. I can personally implement workarounds (force closing, doing unintuitive weird long-press things to activate/deactivate my account, etc), but end users can't. This kind of thing is what makes users seriously, seriously pissed off and prompts them to say nasty things about their phone system. I sincerely hope this issue gets directed to someone who can prioritize this problem properly rather than ending up in a black hole.... especially since fixing this is an extremely trivial coding change (implementing push? not so much. selectively ignoring it? yes).

In this thread from a few years ago (a depressing sign), I see that the decision was made on the iOS client to disallow people from toggling push status, with the rationale that you can't force an application to exit. It looks like the same thought process is being followed here on android now. The point, however, is 100.00% being missed.

Users of the client could care less about "exiting" the application. They want one thing and one thing alone: the ability to easily and intuitively stop their phone from bugging the @J#!@# out of them whenever it is doing so.

The suggestion that "well, a push setting is in the administrative console backend, so we don't want to duplicate it" is a terrible response. Users don't have access to the backend! Even if someone did, that doesn't help them when they're out and about, and their phone is bugging them. They could set DND, but that doesn't let them silence just their mobile phone, which is a problem when they are in the office, but just don't want their phone freaking out.

The actual solution, as a user proposed in the linked thread, is that there needs to be a device-specific option to silence (ie, ignore push) the 3CX client. A checkbox/etc in the client should simply toggle a variable in the phone's application-specific options to ignore incoming calls/push notifications or not. This option doesn't need to (and shouldn't) tie back to the extension settings overall. A user's mobile phone annoys them, and they want to silence that mobile phone. When they get back to the office, they don't expect their desk phones to be silenced if they didn't do so prior to leaving the office.

Last edited:
Reactions: hubi777
Well it likely didn't make it back in the final release! This answer was given back in September, this just makes the problem more frustrating because 3cx could have prevented this.

A reply from 3cx in this thread would be appreciated and needed.

What you are missing is, that this takes about 100% longer than the older method and therefore isn't effective or wanted. Nice you were also able to find a workaround but it's not more then that sadly.

It takes longer and, although people are very good at their jobs, not everyone is a techie. If it's not an obvious choice in the menu, there are going to be support calls, repeatedly. The mobile client should be for people of all types to make their jobs easier, not just super savvy tech users. If it doesn't look and function with ease and logic, some people aren't going to be able to use it.

I just joined the forum purely for this one subject - why on earth has this been removed? I now have 50-odd users all complaining and unable to turn off the phone app when they are in the office and I'm one of them!

Now I've read the way to do with via account name>long press etc but that's madness and totally non-intuitive for standard users. Loads of people in my office have uninstalled the app because it was driving them crazy ringing on their mobiles and getting loads of messages etc via the app.

What was wrong with the simple option to disable push that was there a week ago? Why now this weird way of deactivating/reactivating? Who in 3CX dev thought this was a good idea? I would love to have been in that meeting, and the subsequent one based on all the forum threads and complaints on here. 'Deactivate' is a very final sounding term, one which users will think is something bad that's going to break the app and leave them without a working 3CX solution. As for the long-press.....

Exit - Ignores PUSH has been added back to the app.
Please download the latest version.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.