• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

WebRTC softphone for Desktop

Chris N

Forum User
Reaction score
Hi, I've noticed that the new WebCRT softphone sounds MUCH better than the Windows softphone. Is there any chance that a standalone WebCRT based softphone could be made as a Windows desktop app? I would move my entire company to it if it were available, the audio quality is noticeably better.

Upvote 0
Hi Chris,

I can't speak for 3CX, but I think we can make some assumptions. My guess is that 3CX Phone for Windows will at some point in the future be retired. As a software developer myself, I can see the advantage of a single browser solution that runs on all platforms (Windows, MAC, Linux). With a browser solution, 3CX doesn't have to worry about installation or compatibility issues. For 3CX Partners, there is nothing to install, support, or update on the workstations. For the development and support teams at 3CX, a single carefully managed platform is huge.

3CX has said they will continue to support 3CX Phone for Windows but they have made it very clear that the focus for future enhancements and new features will be for the web client. I can't see 3CX moving the web client functionality to the Windows or MAC platform... that's moving in the wrong direction (in my humble opinion). Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice things about a Windows client. For one, I'm constantly closing my browser only to realize I just closed my phone, but most of the challenges are small in comparison to the benefits of a web-based 3CX phone client.

I don't have a crystal ball, nor do I have access to the internal development plans of 3CX. This is just my opinion and I've been wrong before.

That's my assumption as well, for all the reasons you list. I'm hoping it comes sooner than later.

Make 3CX Webclient a Chrome-App. Open the webclient, go to settings > more tools > create shortcut. It will create a shortcut on desktop and here AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome-Apps. You can also copy the shortcut to Autostart. If you open the shortcut a new window with the webclient starts. If you close your normal chrome app from tasklist, you will not close the webclient.

Make 3CX Webclient a Chrome-App. Open the webclient, go to settings > more tools > create shortcut. It will create a shortcut on desktop and here AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome-Apps. You can also copy the shortcut to Autostart. If you open the shortcut a new window with the webclient starts. If you close your normal chrome app from tasklist, you will not close the webclient.

I went to the webclient in Chrome and tried to follow your directions but under Settings I can't find a "more tools" option or a "create shortcut option. I'm in chrome version 70.0.3538.77.

EDIT: It appears Google has end of life'ed Chrome Apps: https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.