• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Multicast Group Missing from NIC Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Zuercher

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping that you could help assist me with a issue that I am facing with my current local PBX box. Due to some phone issues we had to reload the NIC driver with the latest one from Intel. We are currently running a Intel I219-LM.

Upon the reload of NIC driver we lost our 224.0.1.75 Multicast Group for IPV4. Following the guide provided by 3CX (https://www.3cx.com/docs/plug-and-play-ip-phone/) I ran the following command and see the information below:

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

Scope References Last Address
---------- ---------- ---- ---------------------------------
0 0 Yes 224.0.0.251
0 1 Yes 224.0.1.75
0 2 Yes 239.255.255.250

Interface 3: Ethernet

Scope References Last Address
---------- ---------- ---- ---------------------------------
0 0 Yes 224.0.0.1
0 2 Yes 224.0.0.251
0 1 Yes 224.0.0.252
0 3 Yes 239.255.255.250

I can't seem to figure out how to properly add the 224.0.1.75 to my Ethernet Interface. Upon further diagnostics found that Windows 10 has removed the Adapters and Bindings tab (Thanks Microsoft!).

Saw some mention turning off the automatic metrics but unfortunately the phone still doesn't find my local PBX system to connect and provision the phone.

Wireshark shows the phone trying to reach the local PBX but never hears from PBX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting this issue resolved.

TLDR Version: Reinstalled the NIC Driver to current from Intel due to issues only to find that now can't provision any phones due local PBX not seeing multicast request. Tried looking at results in wireshark and following 3CX guide. Changed Automatic Metrics and still running into issues.

Hello @Mark Zuercher

Try disabling all other network interfaces on the machine and set the metric of the NIC to 1. Then you need to restart the machine and run the “Netsh interface ipv4 show join” command again to see if the issue is resolved.

@YiannisH_3CX Thank you for the input. Looking at the device manager on the local PBX and found the following items in the file i attached to this message.3cx PBX Network Settings.jpg

Should I look into turning off the WAN Port listed there or will that cause 3CX not to operate properly with them disabled?
------------------------------

I did try the setting it to 1 and rebooting the server and found that it still isn't showing that 224.0.1.75 isn't listed under Interface 3 :Ethernet.

-----------------------------

Side Step - have another question for you. When setting up the PBX on my Windows 10 Machine does the 3CX installer create the adapters in the Multicast Groups (which is shown above in the original post). If we would lose the network adapter drivers does that bring this issue we are having to a point where need to look at reloading my PBX just to get the adapter to display correctly?

I would recommend disabling the WAN mini port adapters as they are system devices being used for different protocols.
Side Step - have another question for you. When setting up the PBX on my Windows 10 Machine does the 3CX installer create the adapters in the Multicast Groups (which is shown above in the original post). If we would lose the network adapter drivers does that bring this issue we are having to a point where need to look at reloading my PBX just to get the adapter to display correctly?
Your adapter will receive all requests by default however when you install the system, the PBX "subscribes" to the specific multicast IP so if you lose the drivers of your network card you only need to restart the SIP server to re-subscribe.
Do you only have one adapter listed in your network connections?

@YiannisH_3CX Thank you again. I went in and disabled the WAN connections like you suggested. I then proceeded to login into the 3CX console and restart the SIP Server through there and upon doing that rebooting the SIP Server successfully.

I ran the netsh interface ipv4 show join and am not seeing that it has successfully registered the 224.0.1.75 IP address for my Interface 3: Ethernet again.

Yes to answer your question the !219-LM is the only true network adapter showing up on the machine.

Humm, Mark, take a look at this thread I just posted as it may be germane: https://3cx.com/community/threads/s...ausing-local-provisioning-to-also-fail.61212/ . The problem is that the adapter isn't ready in time for the phone system when it registers the multicast. My solution was to slow the start of the SIP service. My explanation was regarding debian, but it does sound like the same problem to me. Namely that the SIP Phone System service isn't (correctly) waiting for the adapter to finish initializing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.