• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Restore 3CX to Alternate Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwct23

Reaction score
If I have a 3CX server running on a VM in facility A using internal IP 1.1.1.1
Facility hardware has an issue
VM is copied to facility B where the internal IP scheme is 2.1.1.1
This is a custom FQDN and manually controlled DNS
What is the best way to restore this VM or bring it up in facility B?
Phones are connected over WAN that points to both facilities.
Running 3CX Pro
Thank You

If the phones are hitting the internal IP via DNS then you would want to do a backup/uninstall/restore as 3CX does not officially support changing the LAN/internal IP of a running system. No need to touch the endpoints since they are using DNS and you have control over that to re-point. Upgrading to an enterprise license and setting up failover would also take care of this scenario.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

Hello @cwct23

I would recommend creating a backup without licence and FQDN and restore it to facility B. Since you control the DNS you can point the phones to the correct IP.
You could however copy the VM as is and the PBX will detect the LAN IP change and will prompt you to change it given you are on the latest version. This is supported by 3CX and you will not face any issues however it is an additional step you need to perform.

As you are talking about VM, if by any chance you are familiar with NSX, you could build on top your virtual network. With this, you wont need to do IP remapping at the other facility.
You will only need to change FQDN. It is one of the advantage using NSX as it permits to stretch your logical network to your DR facility.

You could however copy the VM as is and the PBX will detect the LAN IP change and will prompt you to change it given you are on the latest version. This is supported by 3CX and you will not face any issues however it is an additional step you need to perform.

@YiannisH_3CX

Was this an Update 6 change? I don't see it in the change logs.

Was this an Update 6 change? I don't see it in the change logs.
This was actually introduced a few service packs back and has been improving ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RTYYU908
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.