• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How reliable is SBC Linux vs Lan2Lan setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

3cxBora

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for advise and input on Linux or Windows SBC for remote office with less than 20 phones.

We have been using site-to-site VPN (Lan2Lan) with option 66 for provisioning remote phones, however I am considering using PC to install Linux SBC going forward.

Here are my questions:
1. Should I use SBC Windows 10 vs SBC Linux? Remote site has less than 20 peoples.
2. What happens to SBC server if there is a power outage? Will the SBC server just recover if I turn it on again?
3. When the customer plugs a new phone into network with SBC, how does it get provision?
4. Is there remote management URL for SBC? How do you manage the SBC remotely?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Bora

So 1/2/4 are basic computer questions that if you don't know means you should probably stick with with VPN. For #3 since you didn't mention what phones you are using one can only guess. But if we assume you are using Yealink phones then provisioning would go something like this:

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/yealink-t4-series/#h.h6ekadsfo11g

Last edited:
Any phone on this "supported" list will be able to use the 3CX SBC for a PnP like connection:
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

Most people who are using VPN and DHCP option 66 are using a "supported" but not preferred handset such as Polycom or Cisco.

I would say the reliability of the SBC is pretty good as long as you don't try and push the limit of phones (20 for Raspberry pi, 50 for Windows and Linux SBC's) and stick a static IP on the device.

Everyone, thank you for your input. We are using Yealink phones. If we use Linux on Dell PC, how do you manage the SBC remotely?

Regards, Bora

Everyone, thank you for your input. We are using Yealink phones. If we use Linux on Dell PC, how do you manage the SBC remotely?

Regards, Bora

Currently 3CX does not provide any remote monitoring or management of the SBC. You would need to come up with a solution. For clients I use either VPN to their network or remote screen sharing from a local server/workstation. Generally PuTTY works well for SSH.

Regards, Bora

The fact that you are asking this question implies you should probably stick with Windows :). As @HRMNY mentioned there's no 3CX answer for doing anything remotely with the SBC. Also, not entirely sure what you mean by manage. The SBC doesn't need to be managed, it just runs once configured. If you mean manage in the sense of doing things like upgrading SBC versions or restarting it if it crashes then that's really a Linux question, nothing 3CX specific. So if you don't already know how to access a Linux machine then you probably want to stick with Windows.

Reactions: leejor
I'm a complete Linux novice and I have setup and installed 6 Raspberry Pi SBCs out on remote sites working successfully with another 4 to be installed in the next two weeks.
I disagree with the comment by @cobaltit that the SBC doesn't need to be managed, they need to be updated, we install a VNC server on each SBC then use a VNC viewer to remote manage the SBC, if you use RealVNC they use a cloud connection that means you don't have to configure the remote router.
You can also use VNC to check the logs, use the netstat command to check network connections and you can also remote manage the extensions behind the SBC.
We also use the same SBC as a wallboard on each site and it's working extremely well.

@Wendelspanswick I guess you didn't read the next sentence. It depends on ones definition of managed. Since there hasn't been a SBC update in about 9 months I haven't touched mine in 9 months so there really hasn't been any 'management' going on in that time. Solutions for remotely accessing anything, linux or otherwise are dependent on the admin's requirements of which we know none and aren't 3CX specific anyways.

@Wendelspanswick I guess you didn't read the next sentence. It depends on ones definition of managed. Since there hasn't been a SBC update in about 9 months I haven't touched mine in 9 months so there really hasn't been any 'management' going on in that time. Solutions for remotely accessing anything, linux or otherwise are dependent on the admin's requirements of which we know none and aren't 3CX specific anyways.
So we are only allowed to offer helpful advice if it's 3CX specific, is there a rule that I haven't seen?

@Wendelspanswick

If that's how you decide to interpret that statement that's up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julian1234
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.