• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Phones don't ring simultaneously in Ring Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatWood

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
I have done some searching and cannot find any similar issue regarding this, so I figured I'd post it here.

This is happening at more than one location, which is why I'd like to get in front of it if I can.

Please note, this issue presented in Ring Groups that previously worked without issue.

RIng group is set up to RING ALL and accepts multiple calls. When the DID is dialed (or extension to RG) the phones ring at random times.....some even many seconds after the call is answered. These are Yealink T21P-E2s and on the latest firmware.

3CX instance is hosted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Everything depends on the set receiving a message to ring, and stop ringing. I have not seen members of a ring group all ring at exactly the same time, they all tend to be slightly staggered. You might check the 3CX Activity Log to see when the SIP messages are sent to each device. How your network is configured may also cause a delay in a message being received by a set. Wireshark, at the set end, may also provider some insight.

The activity log shows all extensions ringing at the exact same time.....I'm unable to "catch" the issue as it's happening, since it seems to be sporadic at best. My customer states that the phones will ring individually and go from extension to extension and can only get answered from the phone that is actively ringing.

Likely a firewall issue. Since you've only said 3CX is hosted and not mentioned how the phones are actually configured I've going to guess you've done it the lazy way with multiple phones setup via STUN and no firewall rules as recommended. I'd bet money if you dropped a SBC in there it would resolve the issue.

We have ~500 remote locations and ~2800 extensions that are all remote registered, so yes they are all using STUN, and no we haven't deployed ~500 sbc to each individual site. To my knowledge, this leaves us with one antiquated option, STUN. If 3cx supported far end nat traversal server side like a real system such as Kamailio/Freeswitch then this wouldn't be an issue.

Any other suggestions besides opening ports on 500+ firewalls or adding 500+ SBC devices to locations all over the US?

You really should have included the information from your last post, at the beginning, as it makes things a lot more complicated. Using STUN can work, but all features don't always work the way we want them to, when using it. It could be the remote routers (configuration?), or how the sets are configured. What local ports are used, and local port forwarding, becomes very important.

Sounds like you should switch to Kamalio/Freeswitch then!

But should you decide to stick with 3CX your supported options are:

- SBC
- STUN with port forwarding
- VPN

Another issue could be the size of the ring groups. And no one said you had to deploy 500 SBCs unless all ring groups at all locations are having the problem. For all we know it's a single location and a single ring group which would mean one SBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.