• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

HTEK / STUN Provisioning not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint_

Forum User
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a remote site who wants to try 3CX.
I claimed we could ship-drop directly to the remote site without having to land the phones to our office first for configuration.

Well.. One phone landed on my desk. And I just wanted to demo this for concept of proof to my coworkers.

My 3CX is in the cloud. I have 2 phones here that are connected to it (no SBC).
I added the new HTEK phone Mac address to the Phones in 3CX, with an extension.

As per the online training, I booted the phone without touching anything. It's been sitting on my desk for 10 minutes with no login prompt. I tried a factory reset, no luck nether. I double checked the MAC address, and it's the right one.

Any hint ?

Reactions: craigreilly
@Saqqara U924
I thought the point of ShipDrop was NOT to touch the phone at all.
It actually *just* came up while I am writing this, and it shows a firmware is available <- This is the way STUN is supposed to work. It shows up in your console, it register, then you upgrade the firmware to 3CX customized. You should not have to tell your end users to update firmwares first. That defeats the purpose.

Glad to see it worked however is some cases you may need to manually upgrade the firmware if the shipped firmware does not have support for your certificate for example. In that case RPS provisioning would not work as the phone would not trust the PBX.

@saint_

That is how drop-ship is supposed to work but realize that YOU claimed you could drop-ship, not 3CX. 3CX has requirements for things like RPS to work and since you can't control those you can't expect it to just work. Companies that drop-ship for touch-less installs accomplish this in one of two ways:

- They work with a distributor like 888Voip who preps the phones for you before shipping them. It's usually around $3-4 per phone and they will do whatever you need. This could be pre-provisioning, firmware upgrading, etc as well as sticking your flyer in the box, etc.
- You use a full provisioning platform outside of 3CX. 3CX is just making API calls to existing RPS services offered by the various vendors. Some are free (like Yealink) and some are paid (like Polycom). If you have direct provisioning server access you can overcome the shortcomings of the 3CX provided access as you would be able to provision your phones in a way to bring them current.

The main problem is a 'chicken and the egg' type problem. 3CX implemented a requirement for remote access to be done over SSL using LE certs by default. Because older phones/older firmware don't necessarily support SSL or LE as a trusted root, they can't talk to 3CX even if the RPS works. This should improve over time as phones being produced now should ship with firmwares that have this baked in but for now, you need to do it the other way. You can also get phones with NEWER firmwares than what 3CX supports which can also be a problem. Hence why providers who do this for a living do one of the above methods.

Heh.. if everything worked the first time, many of us wouldn't have jobs :). It's supposed to work like that and many times it does but if you want it to work like that every time it takes a little more work than that unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.