• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

New Partner - couple of questions on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbrown100

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hi, I have been researching this a little but didn't ever find anything that adequately answered my questions. I wondered if someone had some time to quickly drop me a couple of tips!

1. Use of SBC... We will be hosting majority if not all in the cloud. I have remote clients who I don't always have control of their firewall. Am I right that without access to the firewall you have to have an SBC for two or more extensions otherwise the system simply won't work? I come from a "plug it in and it just works" background reselling hosted SIP solutions from a third party. I don't understand how they do it if 3CX doesn't!

2. Testing 999 in the UK - Well, I have seen another thread recently from a chap saying he was testing but the call never got through, that's my worst nightmare. I also read it is illegal to test call 999 so how do you know for sure it's going to work when needed the most? I'll be using one of two SIP trunk providers so once I have it down and tested once I guess there's no danger of it going wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Graham

Hello @gbrown100

If you have no access to the firewall to perform port forwarding then i would recommend the use of an SBC as we cannot guarantee that the phones will register and work correctly using STUN. If the firewall is not setup correctly then you may face issues with a single STUN device. This however varies per remote environment so the recommended procedure is to port forward the necessary on the firewall. https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/configuring-remote-extensions/

Regarding 999 calling, the thread you are referring to was solved as the issue was with gateway. Just add 999 to emergency numbers under the PBX settings and chose the trunk the call should go out from. You can test with a different number and see if the PBX sends the number to the provider correctly.

I understand this:
Email 999testcalls(at)bt.com and arrange a window to place a series of test calls to both 999 and 112. They will give you a time, a date and most importantly a script to follow (and you must follow it). If you pre-schedule them it's totally 100% legal and supported, if you just place a test call without doing this it is illegal.
I've also read this may be for new VoIP Datacenters only.
I would email and give it a shot.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
@gbrown100

1. This is just basic networking. The point of the SBC is to help with NAT transversal.Your hosted provider also had a SBC in play, it was just on their end. It doesn't matter which end the SBC is on it just needs to be in the call path. You can often plug in multiple phones using STUN behind firewalls and have it just work but the recommended/supported configuration is to use a SBC.

2. It looks like @craigreilly already provided an answer but rather than rely on open forums for advice concerning something with legal ramifications you probably want to talk to the carrier you will be using as they've probably been through this once or twice and can let you know the process.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.