• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Voicemail Light Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahir

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the operator extension setup as a dummy extension just for voicemails, so the IVR directs all voicemails here and users can then dial in to collect the messages throughout the day. On the Yealink when a message was left here the message indicator light would turn on to let them know.

I am now changing the phones to SNOM D765 but when a voicemail is left on the operator extension the phone does not light up to indicate a message is waiting. How can this be setup?

Hello @Tahir

On Snom D765 phones the LED on top does not light up when a voicemail is left as the voicemail button lights up and you also get a message on the screen.

Hi, would this be the same even if a voicemail is left for the operator extension? Would it still show on the Snom D765?

Hi, would this be the same even if a voicemail is left for the operator extension? Would it still show on the Snom D765?
The operator extension is a simply another extension. If a phone is provisioned to that extension then the voicemail button should light up.

As outlined above, voicemails go to a different extension that is delegated ONLY for Voicemails. The users then access this mailbox to listen to voicemails but they would like the phone to show a voicemail is there to listen. So for example Extension 0001 is for voicemails only, and the user may have extension 0002 how can they show voicemails in Extension 0001 on their phone which is extension 0002? I hope that makes more sense.

You cannot monitor if a different extension has a voicemail by default. The best way i can think of doing so is to set the dummy extension to send an email notification every time there is a new voicemail to all interested users by using a mailing list that includes all email addresses.

Or...if there were an easy way to add extension 0001, as an additional line key to each set (provisioned not to ring), to simply indicate a message waiting.

Or...
https://www.3cx.com/docs/group-voicemail/

Or...if there were an easy way to add extension 0001, as an additional line key to each set (provisioned not to ring), to simply indicate a message waiting.

Or...
https://www.3cx.com/docs/group-voicemail/

I did try and see if I could add a BLF using 3CX , do you have a method that would allow for this so that it lights up on receipt of a voicemail?

Having a second line on the SNOM does not work as intended. The user needs to select the second line before it shows the voicemail light, and then when they click the voicemail button and it dials 6666 it says declined. Either way, having to keep selecting the second line to see if they have a voicemail is rather pointless.

I just do not understand how there is no group voicemail facility which works with the MWI. What happens if a client does not have any emails and cant receive such notifications? I need to find a working solution for the SNOM so WMI can work via a second extension. Anyone have any other workarounds I can use considering 3CX still do not support such an option?

@Tahir

What about forwarding the voicemail to email (or an email group) so that it is delivered when it comes instead of waiting for people to notice a light is on and act on it. The advantage of this is that you know /exactly/ when the message was left.

You can also configure the voicemail to delete the message after it's been emailed so you don't have to deal with a cluttered voicemail box.

@Tahir

What about forwarding the voicemail to email (or an email group) so that it is delivered when it comes instead of waiting for people to notice a light is on and act on it. The advantage of this is that you know /exactly/ when the message was left.

You can also configure the voicemail to delete the message after it's been emailed so you don't have to deal with a cluttered voicemail box.

Yup I have this in place as a workaround at present but the client in question wants the light as the receptionists who work there can quickly see the light on and know there is a message as they are not always accessing their emails. They have a dental management system which they are in most of the time and this is why the light indicator is actually quicker.

Hi All

We have Snom 710 / D710 / D712 that used to have the corner light (top right hand corner) light up when there was either a missed call or voicemail, and the message button illuminated also if there was a voicemail.

Since either our 15.5 upgrade or the latest firmware upgrade required by 15.5, the corner light now only illuminates I pick the phone up or when the phone is ringing. I've got a couple of phones still on old firmware so I can review if this is the cause rather than it being due to the 15.5 upgrade. So is this top corner light only supposed to be a ring indicator now?

We have now changed the phones to D765's as these are supported by 3CX. However, the voicemail light does not appear when a voicemail is left, can someone assist? The phones are setup as follows:

1) Main extension as provisioned by 3CX
2) Manual extension added (Operator Extension) this is where all voicemails are left for the business.

Previously with the Yealinks the above method allowed the phone to flash when a voicemail was left and they could click the second extension to load the voicemail. This does not work in the same manner on the D765.

Anyone have a solution to the above problem? Or can anyone recommend a SIP based Call Waiting indicator light I can provision to the Operator Extension so it flashes when a voicemail is left?

I have not come across a stand-alone, SIP based message waiting lamp, or lamp controller, only FSK (and neon) based units, that would have to be used in conjunction with an ATA. Some phones do not allow the MWI to be used by any key other than the primary extension. I'm not certain if that is the case with this particular phone.

Just as an update. I have now managed to fix the MWI light on the phones using the following approach in case anyone else has a similar issue:

• To setup the SNOM D765 to support MWI (message waiting indicator) for a group voicemail box you need to do the following.

1) Provision the phone as normal via 3CX
    2) Logon to the phone manually via the web interface and setup Identity 2 as the group voicemail box extension (For example, the operator extension on 3CX)
    3) Ensure the Operator Extension is only set to receive voice mails for the company. You can also enable email notifications to a suitable distribution group such as [email protected]

• To enable the SNOM phone to display the voicemail indicator for all extensions you need to disable 'Handle Active Identity Mailbox only' setting. When this is enabled it will only display voicemail settings for the highlighted identify/extension/line the phone selects on the screen. So for example if you have the users extension:

0001 | User 1
    0000 | Operator Extension

It will only display voicemail notifications and light up the indicator when you select the Operator Extension using the phone menu.

Logon to the phone web interface and go to > Advanced > Behavior > Change 'Handle Active Identity Mailbox only' to Off.

• The above change will ensure the MWI displays when a voicemail is left on any of the extensions the phone is connected too.

Reactions: U-A and ptinspector
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.