• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

E164 does not work anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

KleiDav

Reaction score
Hello

Since several weeks I don't know what happened, but we can't call anymore numer starting with +XX
It's really annoying because when we miss a call, history shows for instance +33145878458 and I press send and get a "Not Answered" error.

Option "Process E164 Numbers" is cheked
It always worked before, I don't understand what happened, maybe an update?

Also all our numbers in the Address book are stored starting with +33, do we can't use address book neither

Since several weeks I don't know what happened, but we can't call anymore numer starting with +XX

So...in the 3CX Activity Log, where do you see a failure? What number is being sent to your provider? Does it get that far?

Reactions: NickD_3CX
In the call Log I can see this.
Notice that number starting with 33 (our country code) are in fact those called with +33

Attachments

• 2018-12-13 19_06_33-Window.png
    2018-12-13 19_06_33-Window.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 39
The Activity Log will provide information on how 3CX processes the call, If there is an outbound rule, what number is being processed...much more detail (and that can be adjusted too), than the call log.

Think back to when this issue began...what was changed? Might it be a provider issue?

Hello @KleiDav

Can you send us a screenshot of your E164 rules and your outbound rule that the call should match? Also are you calling from an IP phone or a client?

Thanks

A french number is normaly 10 digits long and starting with ZERO, like 0123456789
In E164 format we remove the 0 and replace it with 33 like 33123456789 (or also 0033123456789 I don't really know which one is the official E164 format, I don't even know the effect if we add a + sign in front.

Here are my rules.

I think E164 never worked so some months ago I've added the rule called "Sortant 1-9" that made it work.
I don't really understand how that rule could have worked since, because if we call a french number +33123456789 which is 11 digits long (plus the + sign in front), that rule should not be used because it applies for 9 digits only (too bad there's not a "Description" field for rules so that we can document it)

Inspired by that rule, I've just created an outbound rule that is for numbers starting with 33 and with 11 digits, removing the first 2 digits and replace them with a 0, and it works.
But I can't create all the rules for all the countries, I don't know the number of digits to detect, remove, prepend...

Attachments

• 2018-12-14 16_38_03-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    2018-12-14 16_38_03-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    24 KB · Views: 77
  • 2018-12-14 16_34_15-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    2018-12-14 16_34_15-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 2018-12-14 16_27_40-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    2018-12-14 16_27_40-3CX Phone System Management Console.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 69
Precision, if I call 0033123456789 it's working. If I call +33123456789 it's not working (only if I add my new rule based on 11 digits)

I only write the rules for our home country (USA)... 11 digit dialing. most people dial 7 (we then add 1 and local area code) or 10, we add a 1.
if they want to dial another country - it's up to them.
our international rule is anything starting with 011 which is the code we dial in the US for an international call and any number of digits.

Reactions: KleiDav
I only write the rules for our home country (USA)... 11 digit dialing. most people dial 7 (we then add 1 and local area code) or 10, we add a 1.
if they want to dial another country - it's up to them.
our international rule is anything starting with 011 which is the code we dial in the US for an international call and any number of digits.

Thanks but what I don't understand is that the E164 option as our setup in 3CX is supposed to detect the +33 calls, remove the + sign and prepend a 00, which should work since if I do it manually (call a 0033) it's working

In the Activity Log, when you dial a +33 number, do you see it has been changed to 0033 then trying to find a matching outbound rule but failing?

Do national numbers require the 00, or just a 0, as a prefix?

In your E164 rules, you have an international prefix (00) listed, and defined your location, but nothing in the National rules (prefix), which should apply to calls within your country.

Have a read through this, somewhat similar...
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/international-number-format-dialing-in-mobile-client.50585/

At least, some examples to compare with.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm looking in the right activity log, but I can see this :

upload_2018-12-14_17-3-22.png

(of course I've tried with a different number than +33123456789 which is a fake one, but same with any numbers)

If you follow a call from origination, up until the attempt to match an outbound rule, it should show what number is being used, to match. I suspect your issue is the lack of prefix for national numbers.

Probably could use an outbound source pattern on the trunk to rewrite... but E164 should be working.

I think the E164 option is not working like it should
What I don't understand is why it was working before and now not anymore.
Opened a ticket with our provider.
And in the meantime I'll stay with my 11 digits Outbound rule. Can't call international numbers but we'll see...
Thanks.

E164 rules will detect E164 numbers which are numbers starting with "+" and will convert them accordingly.
If you have France selected (+33) and you call a number starting with +33 then the PBX will detect that you are calling the same country and will remove the +33 from the number. If have something set as a national code then that will be added.
If you call a different country however, for example +44 then the PBX will convert the number to 0044

Reactions: KleiDav
E164 rules will detect E164 numbers which are numbers starting with "+" and will convert them accordingly.
If you have France selected (+33) and you call a number starting with +33 then the PBX will detect that you are calling the same country and will remove the +33 from the number. If have something set as a national code then that will be added.
If you call a different country however, for example +44 then the PBX will convert the number to 0044

Thanks Yiannis
So I'm right : the 3CX E164 option is not working since several weeks. I suppose an update broke it.
To overcome this, I've created an outbound rule that does remove the 33 and add a 0 in front. It's working like this, but I'll have to do this for every country in the world.
Since I won't do it, I'll wait that 3CX fix this E164 bug. (if they'll ever do it)

E164 is not broken. i tried in on 3 different systems running the latest version. What PBX version are you running? You can see the exact build number on the Dashboard, under the Information column next to the licence version. For example 15.5.15502.6.
I would recommend checking the activity log of the PBX to see what is dialled. A wireshark capture could also help you identify what is being sent to the provider from the PBX.
Also why would you have to create an outbound rule for every country in the world? Assuming this is not working for you why not create an outbound rule with a "+" prefix?

I have version 15.5.15502.6
Of course I already tried, but an outbound rule with prefix + is not working. If I call for instance +33123456789 either on the desk phone or 3cx windows phone, it's sending 33123456789 to the PBX, it seems the + is never sent, so a rule based on it will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.