• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Connect to 3CX - limited options for credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacpac

Forum User
Reaction score
I am running 3CX version 15.5.15502.6 on a VPS. In my previous router (with a VoIP) client I could input credentials as User ID, Authenticate ID and Password, and I could connect the phone to 3CX just fine. I replaced my router (still with a VoIP client) and credentials options are only User ID and Password. Is there a way I can connect the phone with only these two credentials? Thanks.

Hi pacpac,

By VoIP Client please confirm you mean 3CX Phone and if so which version.

I know of other VoIP clients out there I have setup with 3CX such as Media5 phone and X-lite but these are un-supported.

The 3CX VoIP client installed on my iOS devices works fine. I mean a VoIP functionality included in the newest router I have received from my ISP (Hyperoptic in the UK, model Tilgin HG2381), their previous router had available the three fields to input credentials, this one; just two fields.

Hello @pacpac

In theory you need to have all 3 credentials to be able to register an extension to the PBX as you could have 2 extensions with the same auth ID and Password. Not sure if this will work but you can try setting the Auth ID of the extension to match the extension number. This is obviously less secure and i would not recommend it but is something you can try.

Tried, no luck... does not register. Ideas?

not really understanding why the ROuter is using 3cx credentials?

The router has an integrated VoIP feature, see below.

GRbGS6k.png
Ky0GFLb

I have a number (most) of working devices with only the user and password in place. In fact I have never gone out of my way to use the Authenticate ID if not necessary. Some devices require that the server IP/FQDN be used in more than one place, like the proxy setting (and others) even if you don't use a proxy.

What does the registration attempt look like in the Activity Log? Is there one?

Last edited:
Hi, yes:

12/16/2018 3:28:45 PM - [CM102001]: Authentication failed for AuthFail Recv Req REGISTER....
... ; Reason: Credentials don't match, check that authorization-ID and password match the ones in extension settings

I have tried all the variations of user id, authentication id I can think of. Each time I see the registration attempt as above. Ideas?

Hi, after a bit of back-and-forth, I believe I found a working solution. I understand the extension number is the User ID, so I put the extension number in the extension's Authentication ID field, then configured with the User ID and password. Then, the phone registered just fine and I can make and receive calls. However, I see an exclamation mark on for this extension on the summary page, 'This extension is not secure.....'. Would this breach be considered serious in 3CX?

Glad to see you were able to solve the issue. As i mentioned above this solution is less secure so i would not recommend it. The warning is there to tell you that your configuration is not secure. It is up to the administrator to secure the system. I would recommend using a strong password to minimise the chance of this being an issue.

Thanks, noted. Does 3CX use the proxy setting?

The PBX will reply to the SIP message it receives. Whether the device has proxy details filled in (if that is what you are referring to) or not is not something that affects the PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.