• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Process for Regenerating Ext Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

kforfa

Free User
Reaction score
I need to regenerate passwords. After testing, once the regenerate button is clicked, the phone loses connectivity to the server, the IP gets blacklisted, and the phone must be manually rebooted. Is there a process for regenerating passwords and rebooting or re-provisioning the phones without having to visit every phone? We are on the latest version of 3CX 15.5 SP5 and are using GrandStream GXP2170 phones.

You are doing everything correctly. 3CX states that supported phones are supposed to re-provision but it seems to be hit or miss. You can try clicking the re-provision button right after regenerating to send the SIP message before it loses authentication. You should also be whitelisting your phone IPs where possible. But yes this is often something I do when I'm touching an extension for another reason and I have someone at the phone to assist.

Appreciate the quick reply. No luck....I'm testing a specific extension. I click the regenerate button under Ext and then the Reprovision button under Phones and nothing happened. The phone is no longer showing in the console. Even after two reboot and trying to force the reprovision from the phone menu, the phone is still not getting the new passwords.

Hello @kforfa

The first thing you should do is to upgrade to SP6. That way you will avoid issues with activation as previous versions can no longer activate to the activation server due to a certification change.
Also a template update came with SP6 that should help with your issue with Grandstream devices. Make sure you are using the default 3CX template and the supported firmware.

I cannot update to SP6 at this time. What certification change? We are on prem using our own SSL. Are you saying that the reprovision button never worked on our current version?

I cannot update to SP6 at this time. What certification change? We are on prem using our own SSL. Are you saying that the reprovision button never worked on our current version?
It is our activation server that had a certification change. That affects the ability of older systems to authenticate to the system and re-activate. You should have received an email a few months back regarding this if the key is registered to your email address. There are also numerous forum threads regarding this.
The reprovision button works in your version but there was an issue with Grandstream devices when you tried to regenerate the password of the extension. In short the phone tried to re-register without applying the new credentials which resulted in phones getting blacklisted.

OK...thanks for the clarification. Since I can't upgrade at this time, I am having to launch the Phone UI, regenerate the passwords, and manually cut and paste the new credentials in the UI. Can you suggest a better process? I have over 100 phone extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.