• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom SPIP331 randomly locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Shearon

Silver Partner
Reaction score
I have a customer with several Polyxom SPIP 331s. They repeatedly need to disconnect POE to reset the phones after they lock up. The phones are running the correct fw and neither the 3CX or the phone logs have any indication as to what is happening. Also, there are no BLFs provisioned. When it occurs the display on the phone is still working but locked up and the device disappears off the network. We have recommended replacing with supported phones but they just can't afford to do that at this point. Just posting here in case any one has any helpful hints or magical solutions.

Thanks

As the devices are disappearing on the network - guess this means you can not ping the device

I would look at the Poe switch - could be faulty

They don't respond to pings and eventually the DHCP lease expires.
I considered the possibility the it was the switch but it only happens to one or two phones at a time. No indication of trouble in the switch's logs and the phones were running on freepbx before the 3CX without this trouble.

@leejor

Possibly, although I think that's why the OP stated they didn't have any BLF's provisioned.

@James Shearon

Happens to the same one or two phones at at time or different phones. Also you state there were no problems on FreePBX but where the phones running the same firmware then? Did you factory reset the phones and then provision with 3CX templates? Are you on v15.5 Update 6? Is the PBX local?

A note about Polycom that I have experienced onsite myself (and to backup @cobaltit). I have noticed that they are very sensitive to firmware version so ensure that they are running the very latest version supported by 3CX.

How many phones are plugged into this switch and how many ports ? some switches support different modes for distributing POE (such as classification and consumption) which if set incorrectly can cause such issues if around the maximum limit for the switch.

For example in classification mode, the PoE switch will reserve the maximum power for the phone based on class level to make up its consuming power.

But, in consumption mode the PoE switches supplies the actual watts that the phone needs. For example, one phone requires 14W to be powered-on and the PoE switch in consumption mode will allocate 14W to it according to its requirement.

Consumption is the best as you are not un-allocating extra power. Please note that the naming of these modes maybe different dependent on manufacturer.

Just a thought....

I know you stated that there were no BLFs......

However, I experienced the exact same issue on a site. They worked perfectly of V14, but when upgraded to V15.5, the Polycoms became unstable and exhibited this behaviour randomly.

We removed all configured keys (BLF, shared parking, speed dials, etc....) from the extension. Factory reset the phones and re-provisioned. All worked perfectly after that.

Happens to the same one or two phones at at time or different phones. Also you state there were no problems on FreePBX but where the phones running the same firmware then? Did you factory reset the phones and then provision with 3CX templates? Are you on v15.5 Update 6? Is the PBX local?

So far it appears to happen randomly.

There were problems, hence the switch to 3CX, but not this problem.

The phones were factory reset and upgraded from 4.0.9 to 4.0.10 when joining the 3CX. They were provisioned using the default Polycom template and have no BLF's. yes on v15.5 Update 6 and PBX is local.

Just a thought....

Thanks for the idea. I checked the stats on the POE. It's not over burdened. The total provided power is 195 while allocated is 43W. all ports are set to "usage" which equates to "consumption"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.