• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call another extension if no answer (external call)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adria G

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

This is our first post and this is pretty amazing as we’ve configured the whole system and been using it for 3 months doing everything by ourselves, we believe 3cx is soooooo good (well, let’s leave the mobile app aside).

We are currently using the latest version of 3cx and for one reason or another few remote users (including the MD) refuse to have a remote extension (remote phone, app on their mobile phones...). What they do instead is call one of the external numbers and then key the extension.

If they call an extension and there is no answer, then they have to hang up and call the external number again and type another / same extension.

Is there a way to allow them to either:

- Press something at any time to go back to the main menu (where they can type another extension)

- Have some sort of post call menu (if no answer from the extension)

- Any other way you can handle that sort of situation

Thanks for your help.

Adria.

Hello @Adria G

Glad to see you are enjoying the system and thank you for your kind feedback. As there is no dedicated functionality that does what you are after you may need to think out of the box to get something working. The option would be to set the forwarding rules of extensions to forward calls to a digital receptionist that will allow callers to select a different extension. That of course will apply to all callers.
If the forwarding rules of extensions are currently pointing to voicemail then you could have them use the "*" of the voicemail that will transfer them to the operator extension. You can then set the operator extension to forward calls to a digital receptionist. The added benefit of this is that you can use exceptions for selected caller IDs and forward only those numbers to the digital receptionist.
A third option would be to set Inbound caller ID rules that would forward these callers to a Queue where multiple members could answer the call.

Reactions: Adria G
If they call an extension and there is no answer, then they have to hang up and call the external number again and type another / same extension.

This suggests that the caller knows who has which extensions, which means that they call on a regular basis, and that they just want to reach someone (anyone) in the department. If so, have them dial an extension number (in the IVR) that forwards to a ring group containing all of the people in that department. They wouldn't necessarily reach a specific person, but it doesn't sound as if that really matters.

Thanks everyone, we managed to implement solution following YiannisH_3CX advice.

We hit another tricky situation which i am not sure if is even possible to solve.

We have an extension that timesout after 60 sec and goes to voicemail.

For inbound external calls, Is there a way to have a shortcode or such to return to IVR before it timesout without having to hangup and redial number?

I did some heavy research about this but i couldn't find anything related.

Thanks for your support
Adria

For inbound external calls, Is there a way to have a shortcode or such to return to IVR before it timesout without having to hangup and redial number?

I don't believe that the caller can do anything until the call is answered (voicemail or other destination), at which time they can * out to the operator, or another destination, in the case of an IVR. While they hear ringback, as far as I'm aware, there are no options.

Reactions: Adria G
I don't believe that the caller can do anything until the call is answered (voicemail or other destination), at which time they can * out to the operator, or another destination, in the case of an IVR. While they hear ringback, as far as I'm aware, there are no options.
Thanks leejor for the reply. that is what i thought however it is worth to make sure that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.