• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom VVX 501s Randomly Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLloyd

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
I see similar posts about Polycom and VVX series phones, but don't quite follow what is happening in those threads. Basically...

We've had these phones for about a month (I know... legacy). My phone recently rebooted while I was at my desk, and it was not in use. Asking around, 4 out 10 users have noted this happening, and opted to not inform me.

In testing, I put an inline UPoE injector in line with my phone, and the phone just rebooted after a few days. I don't see any events or activity logs on the 3CX console (Linux).

Any ideas?

UPDATE - Particulars:
- Polycom FW version: 5.6.0.17325
- 3CX Linux Server version: 15.5.15502.6
- Provisioned directly from the 3CX console.

Last edited:
I see similar posts about Polycom and VVX series phones, but don't quite follow what is happening in those threads. Basically...

We've had these phones for about a month (I know... legacy). My phone recently rebooted while I was at my desk, and it was not in use. Asking around, 4 out 10 users have noted this happening, and opted to not inform me.

In testing, I put an inline UPoE injector in line with my phone, and the phone just rebooted after a few days. I don't see any events or activity logs on the 3CX console (Linux).

Any ideas?

UPDATE - Particulars:
- Polycom FW version: 5.6.0.17325
- 3CX Linux Server version: 15.5.15502.6
- Provisioned directly from the 3CX console.

dhcp lease issue,. change the lease time and see if it gets better.

3cxnub, I have set up IP Reservation for all permanent device assignments, workstations and IP phones being in that list. DHCP lease is set to 8 days, for those IPs that are transient. Servers, switches and routers are static.

The few phones that are rebooting are doing so more than once a week. All were flashed to the same FW version, 5.6.0.17325... the latest 3CX posted supporting. I just flashed mine to 5.8.0.13851, to see what happens.

Just grabbing, now...
. I am beginning to think that the networks switch QoS is not properly porting for voice. It has been in place far longer than I have been here, and may not be that capable. It did work with an old ShoreTel system the 3CX replaced.

Thank you for replying, and so soon! I definitely need some community brains to assist me in this.

Try 5.6.1 firmware on one of the phones and see if that helps. You can update directly from the Polycom firmware site from the web interface of the phone.

Cobaltit, you more cautious than myself! I am hoping my going to v5.8.0.13851 is not too far...:)>) I am considering updating another phone that is having this issue, and v5.6.1 would be newer than what I set up, last month.

I looked at the VVX501 log of my phone, after it restarted, and have not yet come to understand exactly what I am reading. I am seeing things that may or may not be an issue.

I will look at other things about the ones that are restarting, to see if there is a correlation: network switch ports used, Ethernet patch cords, patch ports, phone PN & revision, etc. I may have to set up a syslog monitor and see what I capture from these phones.

Challenges are definitely stimulating, as long as they don't kick my butt!

I thought I'd update this thread, before it closes... The Polycom VVX 501 phones just don't like 3CX v15.5. (See URL, below)

From what I experienced, 3CX v15.5 also suffers from a consumption of free operating RAM. With 12 Polycom phones, the 3CX (with 8GB of RAM) would go from 4% used RAM to over 60%, and beginning to use swap space, within a week. It would be above 95% within 14 days.

After adding the Polycom phones, I would reboot the 3CX within 2 weeks... just to avoid finding out what happens when usage hits 100%. Along the line, the Polycom phones would randomly reboot on users, but seem to wait for the end of a call to do so...

Last week, I swapped seven of the Polycom VVX 501 phones out with seven Yealink T48G phones. Aside from their notable larger desk space footprint, everything about these phones has been well received. Users like them, they had great sound, they haven't rebooted on anyone, and the 3CX is entering day 5, since the Sunday reboot, with 17% RAM consumption. I am presuming that swapping out the remaining Polycom phones will solve that issue.

Polycom URL mentioning issues with 3CX and no resolution:
https://knowledgebase-iframe.polyco...nisa.apps.common.BaseViewedDocsListHelperImpl

For what it is worth...

Reactions: cobaltit
Nice find on that article. We don't really have any BLF setups on the Polycoms which is probably why we don't run into the issue that often. Hopefully 3CX can read that and do something about it because while we never sell VVX phones for a new install we do take over a lot of existing VVX installations.

@YiannisH_3CX can you make sure the dev team knows about the article above with regards to VVX phones and 3CX?

Nice find on that article. We don't really have any BLF setups on the Polycoms which is probably why we don't run into the issue that often. Hopefully 3CX can read that and do something about it because while we never sell VVX phones for a new install we do take over a lot of existing VVX installations.

@YiannisH_3CX can you make sure the dev team knows about the article above with regards to VVX phones and 3CX?
Please read the known limitations for VVX devices in the VVX setup guide. The devices were tested and everything we found not working correctly is listed there.
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-vvx/#h.6chpwcv5ucba

Agreed, Yiannis. The warnings are there for those who check. I was given the Polycom VVX 501 phones and asked to make them work. I did see that page, but there was no clear explanation of what to expect in deployment. I wanted to share my findings for anyone who finds themselves researching to see if a Polycom VVX 100 to 600 series phone is for them. My "hard knocks" experience is to pursue one of the phones that is on the preferred list, instead.

It is OK to lock this one for no further replies. I think this one can be put to rest.

@YiannisH_3CX Indeed it is there. Is this a 3CX issue or a Polycom issue?

I think a 3CX developer can better answer that question.

The Polycom VVX 100 to 600 series phones are on legacy status for both 3CX and Office 365 Skype for Business (and Teams). There are also a lot of them in use, and new ones still being sold.

The question would be whether the code changes in 3CX v15.5 reflect to further the advancement of the 3CX functionality... or, if it was an introduced bug that could have been avoided. Whatever was introduced in that version results in the SUBSCRIBE call for BLF keys programmed for status changes, and sent from the Polycom phones, causes 3CX to return "Subscription-State: terminated;reason=noresource". Therein lies the source of the memory leak, which I see happening to both the phones and the 3CX.

If 3CX takes the position that this condition cannot be avoided without compromising the advancement of 3CX capabilities, then I would see it as an unfortunate consequence of technology moving forward. After all, these phones are legacy phones. I would seriously consider making an update to the 3CX site to note these issues are present in the Polycom models. It might cut down on future forum threads.

If 3CX takes the position that modifying the 3CX code to at least stop the memory leak issues is feasible for a future update release, then I would think this would be a positive position for 3CX with customers who still have these units. They are over $150US.

Perspective and perception... 3CX is still a great software offering. The way it addresses issues like this really are opportunities to stand out from the rest. Just my old man insights, for what it is worth.

I have noticed that polycom phones tend to reboot on certain dhcp events, change of an ip from dhcp will trigger reboot, change of gateway will trigger a reboot, this is not the case with other phones like snom. so make your lease times longer and see if it stops.

I would also edit the default template file "polycomvvx.ph.xml" and change the lines 2059 and 2064 from LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="http://dummypolycomlogserver.com/" to LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="" to stop unnecessary traffic. you will have to save it as a custom template and reprov whatever phone you want to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quantinium
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.