• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Phones not reregistering after failover restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPSKY

Reaction score
Hello all,
We are testing failover.
We have DNS setup by DNSmadeEasy and not using 3cx's FQDN and have DNS failover set there.
That part is working great.
Failover for the system it self is working great to, server 1 goes down, 1 minute later server 2 is active and DNS is pointing there.
The phones are set up using FQDN as the interface
Phone's then show up on the second server.
Our problem is when the Primary server comes back up, the phones are not showing on the Primary server and are still on the backup server.
I assume there is a setting or something I am missing, but wasn't sure if anyone knew what it was.
Servers are Debian 9
3cx is 15.5 SP6
We are using ENT license

There is normally a re-registration time, in most devices , set by the server (it can usually be set to a lower value manually). The 3CX default used to be 30 minutes, not certain if that has changed, This determines when a device will re-register. Until that time happens, the set will still consider itself to be registered, and unaware that the server has changed, unless perhaps an outbound call is attempted. You could lower the re-registration time if this is an issue, but it will create additional traffic, so don't set it too low, on a lot of devices.

Thanks, I was unable to find where this setting on the server.
I think I found it on the phone itself, using yealink for testing, but it would not reregister
I can get it to register by rebooting the phone but obviously this isn't the best solution

FYI the failover process is only Active > Passive as per: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/ha-active-active-setup.48937/

Also as per https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/:

"To re-write your External FQDN to resolve back to the Public IP of the Active Server you will need to go to your primary server press to edit the license and then hit Apply so that the FQDN is switched back to the 3CX Active server and restart its services."

This is failing back your system, as you can see it requires a manual intervention, whether the phones switching back is part of this is (as far as I can see) not documented, however as with the above post re-registration should take care of that.

Reactions: Lee Cramman
Hi,
If I understand correctly, the steps to re-write the external FQDN would only be done if using 3cx FQDN. We are using our own domain with our own external DNS, which has its own failover solution. The DNS failover works great. Server 1 goes down, server 2's public address shows as the FQDN in about a minute.
The phones which are provisioned using FQDN seem to switch over fine, as I can see them in the server.
Once server 1 comes back up, the DNS server sees it is up and sets the Public IP back to the FQDN.
Our issue is when server 1 comes back up, the phones do not get readded to server 1 again, they are still showing on server 2, which is no longer active.
So if I am understanding it, the system is set to just go active > passive and not back to active when the active server comes backup?

If the phones are registering using the public FQDN and that public FQDN points back to server 1 then the phones should start registering to server 1 just like they did when they switched from server 1 to server 2.

The 3CX failover is designed to switch from server 1 to server 2 automatically when a failure is detected and as you may have noticed you have the ability to run some scripts from the passive server when the switch is made.
When you are ready however to switch back to server 1 you will need to manually set server 2 to passive mode and start server 1 back up. This is what @eddv123 means.

Reactions: accentlogic
Hi Yiannish, yeah the first part is how i thought it should work since that makes sense, however it is not.

I see about manually setting back to passive, thank you, didn't realize you needed to do that step

actually maybe setting it to passive did the trick.
The phone was not showing back in the primary, then I made a call, checked the primary and phone showed there

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Glad to see you were able to solve the issue. You should also make sure that the TTL for the FQDN is short so phones switch faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.