• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

unplugged phones appear as active new ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVB

Free User
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm preparing a bunch of fanvil phones which works all fine provisioning & firmware upgrade wise.

But each time that I unplug such phone the actual phone dissapears from the phones list
but a brand new phone shows up with the same mac address but everything blank as if it was not provisioned yet and the firmware is also the one as it came out of the box while it was already upgraded to the latest 3CX one.

When I connect the phone this devices dissapears and my actual phone is visible again.

Is this a bug I bumped on?

Hello @GVB

Never seen a phone send a PnP request when unplugged so it does look strange. Usually phones will send PnP requests when factory reset and restarted. You will need to run a packet capture to see if the phone is sending something to the PBX or if this is a browser caching issue.

Well that's my guess that it is a bug.

With unplugged I really mean disconnect the POE network cable and put the phone in a box before going to the other site.

You can see it in the image below.

All those news phone at the top of the list are provisioned, configured and having the same firmware as the 2 Fanvil phones at the bottom (402 & 405) altho the info shows the firmware from before the provisioning and upgrading.

When I plug in the phone I get to see the actual data so some old info is somewhere kept.

3cx_bug.gif

Have you tried clearing your browsers cache to see if that makes a difference?

yes, I just tried that and connecting from a browser on a server where I have never connected to 3CX before.

The list is still the same.

It appears to be an issue for the Fanvil X3G phones.

I have put a Fanvil C400 offline and that one just dissapears from the list.

Thank you for reporting. I will see if i can replicate with a phone of the same model.

This happens with our phones which are a mix of Fanvil, Yealink and the odd Grandstream.

I assumed it was by design so you still had a reference point for the phone even though it was currently unplugged.

Actually I would prefer that that you always can see the phones.
As 3CX changes webUI passwords this can be an issue sometimes to get to the login password to connect to the phones webUI.
Or atleast an option to show disconnected devices so that still have access to the passwords.

Actually I would prefer that that you always can see the phones.
As 3CX changes webUI passwords this can be an issue sometimes to get to the login password to connect to the phones webUI.
Or atleast an option to show disconnected devices so that still have access to the passwords.

Yup - makes factory resetting or re-provisioning a phone to a different extension a lot easier when you don't have physical access.

indeed, I noticed that 2 days ago that it wasn't just selecting another extention number.

it would be easier but once you know you have to go through the reset it's ok.

I just noticed that a Siemens GigaSet N510 IP Pro also suffers from this display issue and appear as new phone in the list when it's offline.

Same here with Yealink T46G, T46S and T48S phones. As soon we unplug them they show up as new (so after unplugging they shouw up) of course they don't send any data as unplugged etc, seems to be a bug in 3CX. After about 48 hours they finally disappear from the list. Background was we wanted to provision 150 phones and plugged them in by pairs of 8 -> provision and update them and then do the next 8. But everytime we unplugged and plugged in 8 new ones the old ones would still show as "new" until we were seeing all as new (except the plugged in ones). As soon we plug in an already provisioned phone it's immediatly there with right extension and the new one is gone... So in the end we had to search the phones over Mac address (or scroll) anyway sadly (instead of being able to choose out of 8 only). Here is an example of 1 unplugged one which is already provisioned

Attachments

• Pinggg.jpg
    Pinggg.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 8
If it's a bug I hope they don't fix it :p

Why? What's the advantage of seeing unplugged provisioned phones as new phones in the gui?
There is no advantage... we see this behavior with Yealink and Snom devices too

Why? What's the advantage of seeing unplugged provisioned phones as new phones in the gui?

It's handy to tell you what's currently unplugged and to troubleshoot phones that won't connect by giving you access to the webui password which, in turn, gives you access to factory reset or config phones remotely.

They don't necessarily have to show up as new, just flagged in some way.

It's handy to tell you what's currently unplugged and to troubleshoot phones that won't connect by giving you access to the webui password which

If i look at those phones i can see as password NEW NEW NEW NEW. And i don't have any idea in which of my 300 extension is assigned to this phone. Or am i wrong?

the only way I figured it out (by already knowing the involved extention) which of the 2 Fanvil phones was the right one is selecting one in the extention provisioning tab and compare the mac address.

it would be nice if the dropdown items contained the name and mac address like "Fanvil (00:00:00:00:00:00)" instead of just "Fanvil" which makes things easier to access.

Went to try and test this out and I can't get them to appear as new phones any more...

It's handy to tell you what's currently unplugged and to troubleshoot phones that won't connect by giving you access to the webui password which, in turn, gives you access to factory reset or config phones remotely.

They don't necessarily have to show up as new, just flagged in some way.
NO, It's NOT handy, because it doesn't show you passwords or anything, it only shows you NEW NEW NEW NEW. If you looked at the screenshots you would have seen. It's just a stupid bug, please don't say something like I hope they don't fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.