Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

10 second delay, long read

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nngeek, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nngeek

Ok guys here is one for you. I hope to be as clear as possible. I am running 3cx 3.1.2434.0 on Windows XP pro sp2, wired to network (100base). I am running a Linksys 3102 into a Vonage box. I have an analog phone connected to the Linksys in the phone slot, Vonage connected to Line and Internal network connected to the WAN port. I have 2 computers running Xlite for testing. The analog phone connected into the Linksys is acting as ext 120. I can call from the analog phone to an ext (example 101,xlite) and there is a 10 second pause before it rings. However, I can call from 101 (xlite) to 120, analog phone, and it rings instantly. Also, on inbound calls the analog phone will ring 3-4 times before the 3cx server gets the signal to ring the call group.

On making outbound calls: I dial 9 to get out.

If I dial 9 on the analog phone there is the same 10 second delay before the 3cx dial tone.

If I dial 9 on one of the xlite phones the 3cx dial tone is instant.

The main problem is that the incoming call will ring 3-4 times before 3cx will get the signal there is an incoming call.

I believe the delay between the separate senarios is related, however I do not know where to start looking. Does anyone have any ideas? I believe it is a setting in the Linksys somewhere.

Thanks,

nngeek

2. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

first things first, ensure you have any machine-specific firewalls within your LAN switched off. This is obviously only if you are using a private address range and as such pretty much invulnerable from internet attack.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nngeek

check - all firewalls are off

4. nngeek

Lets start one thing at a time. I have outgoing setup to dial 9 to get an outside line. If I do this from a xlite I instantly get an outside dial tone but when I dial the outbound number there is a 10 second lag before it starts to ring. Anyone have any ideas?

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

It seems some form of network issue.

To troubleshoot:

First of all i would go to v5.
    Review server status logs and see if there is activity right after you make the calls - i.e check if the traffic is being sent and received tot he server in time. You need to determine if the server is not receiving the traffic timely, whether its not being sent timely or whether the server is not handling the traffic in a timely fashion.... To localize the problem to the server PC< the Client PC etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nngeek

I went to version 5 last night but I could not make outgoing calls, no settings changed on the 3102, all lights were green in the 3cx line status page. Incoming calls worked just fine. I went back to v3. I do not think 3cx is the problem as the logs look ok. I think it has something to do with either the 3102 or the vonage ATA or both. I will reset the 3102 to factory and re enter all the settings again. I will let you guys know what happens.

7. Aikon

nngeek,
    problems seem to be related to your 3102 settings.

First, the calling from analog delay:
    you have to carefully read about "DialPlan" in Linksys. It seems that the 10 seconds delay happens because the gateway is waiting for other digits before sending the string to the voip pbx. Please try to digit the number followed by a # digit. This should make the call start immediately.
    If i'm right, then you can write an appropriate DialPlan string to solve the problem without pressing every time the # key.

Second, the delay in answer:
    this may be also a 3102 setting problem. In the 3102 Voice -> Line1 config page search for the "PSTN Answer Delay" parameter, this is the delay in seconds before Linksys send the incoming call ring to 3cx. Shorten it if you want, but may be that reducing too much (below 3 seconds) you'll do not get anymore the callerID (this is because it is normally sent between the first and the second ring in the analog line).

Third, analog extension rings before the rest of ring group:
    look at the same page for the parameter "PSTN Ring Thru Line 1", set it to "no" and the analog extension will become an extension ringing only if 3cx tells it to ring (of course you have to insert it in the ring group). Otherwise, leaving it to "yes" the analog port will ring immediately as soon as the PSTN line call arrives.

Hope this helps.

Aikon

8. nngeek

Aikon,

I don't believe it! Pressing the # right after I dial 9 for an outside line makes it connect instantly! It also takes care of the inside dialing between extensions! You are a life saver, I thought I was going out of my mind. Now I will call on you once more for instructions on how to make a dialing plan that will make the # key happen automatically.

Kindness Regards,

J.R.

9. Aikon

Have a look at this:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5179&lid=9213843039B04

The document is from Linksys, "Explaining Dial Plans".

Aikon

10. nngeek

Ok I added |<9:9#>| to the dialing plan. This has cut the delay down to 3-4 seconds. I can dial 9 then # and its instantaneous. Any ideas on the 3-4 sec delay now?

Next problem: After I get an external dial tone and dial the external number there is another 10 second delay. Adding the # after the outside number is dialed does not do anything with the delay. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

J.R.

11. Philco

Philco Member

There is usually a delay on voip devices which allows the full number to be entered before it is sent, this delay is usually adjustable, though 10 seconds seems quite long, and is generaly around 4 seconds. The # character is used to teminate and send the number entered without waiting for the time out.

Have a look in your ATA or voip device for the delay. In Grandstreams its called 'no key entry timeout' after which the number entered is sent.

Phil

12. Aikon

nngeek,
    your <9:9#> string, gets the "9" digit as a valid pattern, then the 3102 assumes that a valid number has been entered and replaces "9" with "9#", but only after the Interdigit_Short_Timer timeout. This substitution is useless, because the # digit is only sent to pbx after the 9.

If fyou want to get an immediate selection after entering only the "9", try the string |9S0|

Aikon

13. Henk

Henk Member

Well that is easy :).

What you will find is that SPA waits for the next digit, it is not aware that you finished dialing and waits. Once it finishes waiting (10 seconds) it dials your number.

You can either set this on the phone (sending numberComplete sooner) or you can change the wait on the SPA.

H

14. girishpeswani

switch to 2 stage dialling . press 0# and you will be glad to have used 3CX for calling out.

use seperate gateways for receving calls and making calls as I do not have the solution to receiving calls using 2 stage dialling configured on the gateway. ( which means gateway for calling out is configured for 2 stage dialling and for receiving calls is configured for 1 way dialling) this works great and use 3CX Ver3.x only.

Anyone has a better solution ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.