16 cordless phones needed - recommendation?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by netcom12, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netcom12

I have a need to setup a client with 16 cordless phones. I see many of the options include up to 8 phones per base station - but only 3 SIP calls at a time...this just won't do. Is there a cordless combo that will allow more calls per station, or am I gonna need 6 base stations to support 16 calls?

Second requirement - simple transfer button. I want a solution that has a transfer button, not a menu that you have to navgigate. I'd like to be able to press: transfer+ext+transfer or some very simple combo like this.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks :)

Will

2. pjr

pjr New Member

It sounds like you are looking at SIP DECT solutions, and the limitations your are hitting are common place with DECT solutions (The Snom M9 that's due out soon will support up to 4 calls per base). Do you really need the ability to support 16 concurrent calls to cordless phones? How does your client do this at present?

A possible alternative to look at is Wi-Fi based SIP phones such as the Spectralink Range from Polycom or the Aastra 312, although you will have to have decent access points and coverage to support these. This does not solve the issue with a transfer button though - I dont know of any portable handset that features a dedicated button?

Another option is to look at wi-fi based desk phones from Cisco or Snom as these will have dedicated transfer buttons - but won't be as portable as a dect handset.

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RandyChev

Almost 2 years has past since this question was asked. So I'm wondering if the market has changed. I'm looking for just 2-3 DECT or WiFi phones for our system but the one thing I need to have on the phones is transfer. The DECT system we have now is on one extension and has two handsets. We can transfer within the DECT system but we need to transfer to another 3CX extension. Are there any new DECT phones that can access such features of the 3CX system?

4. paul1

You could use an Android phone in WIFI mode and run the 3CXPhone App. Version 1.3.4 handles transfers nicely.

5. RandyChev

Thanks for the reply re. Android phones. I'd like to get something a bit more sturdy than the average Android phone. These will be used in an auto body repair shop environment. The users are supervisors but still they WILL land on cement from time to time. Also we've found with the iPhone version of 3CXphone that they don't stay registered all day.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You are best going with a rugged/waterproof type DECT analogue set in conjunction with an ATA. I have never seen a "protected" DECT SIP set that can stand up to abuse. Your eventual replacement cost will be much less when damaged or if something better comes to market. These sets usually have a flash/recall button, which make transfers much more straight forward.

7. RandyChev

Great. That's the information I'm looking for. I'll have to research these "flash/recall buttons" to see how they would function for transfers and to ensure the set I get has them.

Any sets come to mind that work well with 3CX?

Thanks again.

8. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Take a look for the Kirk 60-Handset Series and the Kirk WS 300 Base Station.
    Not cheap, but works fine with 3CX.
    http://www.polycom.com/products/voice/wireless_solutions/dect_communications/index.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. RandyChev

Frank, thanks for that advise. I originally had those in my system quote but couldn't bring myself to spend that much for phones that might go bad in a year or two or get damaged in the shop. (I haven't had good luck with cordless.)

We had a cordless system here on the 3CX system hooked in via an ATA and until reading this and related threads didn't know the flash key would work as described. (In fact the label for the flash key was worn off on the phone I usually see so I didn't even think about trying this method.) Anyway, it worked great so I picked up an inexpensive but rugged system locally and will replace the old cordless system after they charge over the weekend. This will work well for us with the only caveat being that if one person is on the cordless system and a second call comes in, another person can't pick up that call with a cordless since they are on the same extension. We'll live with that for now. (we only have two incoming lines anyway and most of the time a second person will be at a desk extension.)

THANK YOU to those who replied to this rather old thread. Our discussion has helped me immensely!

10. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Hi,

using a SIP DECT system is good solution, especially if coverage area is covered with more than one AP.
    However consider using WiFi SIP phones (most smart-phones are supporting it). Handover may also be an issue, if wireless AP are not good enough.

Regards

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you went with a second ATA (or a two port, like the SPA-2102) and a second base/handset, they could both be on the same extension number. In the 3CX extension options you can allow more than one call to a number, so if one person were on one set anyone calling the same extension would ring on the second handset, or both would ring if neither were in use.. And you wouldn't have to stop at two. The bases could be placed side by side and it wouldn't in which one you placed the handsets to be charged. I have seen some rubberised handsets made by Uniden or Panasonic, they are made primarily for use outside, by the pool and tend to be water resistant.

It all depends where in the world you are located and what is offered in your market.

12. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Be careful of handover requirements -- usually one AP (DECT or wireless) will not be enough as coverage (< 50 m or 160 ft) or will not have enough channels (simultaneous calls). ATA solution is not suitable in such case.

Regards.

13. le_papa

We where looking for almost 15 wireless phone (wi-fi), we tried the polycom and the linksys one, but in the end, we are going with the "unidata 7800". Easy to setup, not strong as the polycom but could buy 3 of it for the price of one, good sound, good roaming, get a better reception then some of my laptop. Get one first to try it for compatibility with your infrastructure, this is what's gona do the difference. We are using mikrotik AP's.

Have fun !
    Luc

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

With that many WiFi sets (given the limited number or "clear" channels), I have to assume that you are covering a very large area with AP's that are somewhat restricted (directional?) in individual coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.