2.5 SECONDS DELAY IN IVR MESSAGE START

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CATE, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CATE

I've been with that problem since I started using 3CX and wonder if someone have figure out a solution by now...

I have 3 different types of trunks(Skype,Mobile Gateway,Grandstream GX4104), the problem is with all 3, so there must be something not right with my 3CX & Windows Server 2012.

It takes almost 3 seconds to start the recorded message of your IVR. Don't know what setting to change in order for the message to start inmediately after pickup...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Let us dissect the trunks from the IVR.. if you register and extension and just dial the IVR extension, does it still take 2.5 seconds?

3. CATE

Thanks Ian for your reply. Wow! haven't thought of this test... yes, it takes the same time, almost 3 secs... I dialed the IVR extension(800) from my extension(125) and measure the time, the same result.. What should I do next...?

Regards.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Locate the wav file on your computer and play it back through Windows Media Player or some other similar player. If the delay is still there it means that there was a hesitation/delay when making the recording. This leaves you with a choice of remaking the recording or getting a WAV file editor such as Audacity and editing the existing file to remove the dead air space.

5. CATE

Hi Ineblett,

That was one of the first things I did, moreless a year and a half ago... Anyway, I checked again and manage to chop just 0.3 secs... leaving around 2 seconds now to start IVR message...I think a 1 sec delay it´s ok... I would like to set it to that at the most...More is confusing for the person who dials... What should I do next?

Look, if you want you can measure it yourself on your phone/client, two ways:
    sip tel: op@sip.dmcwsco.com or skype trunk: dmcwsco

Thanks , regards.

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Hmm, not sure.

I dial my system which is on a SIP trunk and I get to the IVR instantly. However, it seems like it is instantaneous as there is no ringback tone, so I have no audible reference as to when the system actually sees the call and then routes to the IVR. It very well could be 2 seconds.

I then dialed some of my clients who are PSTN based and using gateways. I can tell there is a delay and likely +/-2 sec., but I did not find it objectionable. It very well could be that I am simply conditioned to it or merely a type A- or B+ personality.

I recall a few years ago some complained about similar issues and it seemed that perhaps some of them were tracked down to systems using some of the then, newer SSD which had slower read/write times. I also recall some who suggested that allowing the hard drives to spin down may have been causes. I have no experience with the SSD (yet), and have never experienced the issue with drive spin down, so cannot really comment on the possibility.

Being that we both seem to have the issue to some degree, it may simply be the latency inherent in the process of recognition of the need, then locating the file and then playing same. If you have two calls coming in, one a little later than the other, does the second call seem to get services sooner?

I am going to assume that the hardware (being that you have Server 2012) is more than adequate to run the applications and the Exchange and Sql Server are not running on the same machine. I will look into it a little more, but I have a feeling it is what it is. I know of no settings one can do, which only leaves the wav file itself and/or the system processing power to execute the instruction set quicker.

7. CATE

Hi Ineblett,

You can check it well using the Skype trunk(dmcwsco), your Skype client shows the time well when placing a call and you can see exactly when the pick up is done after couple of rings or so...

I didn't mentioned some history, cause I thought maybe someone was going to tell me plainly "Yes! I had this issue, it's a known problem, a bug you can fix or work around this way or with this setting"..

I started using 3cx with Windows server 2003 and abyss. So first I blamed it on the abyss, and to change to IIS I had to upgrade the whole system, installed 2 new extra processors, some extra memory(32Gb), new disks, So I think the system is OK.

Back in the first research I did, when I still had the abyss, I found out that whenever I restarted the services, the first call was picked immediately without any delay, and then the rest introduced the delay... So I left it that way without fixing it... But clearly there was a setting issue there or a bug, since there was an instance when things worked well. Some time ago there was some info on blog and forum but couldn't find it anymore, I think it was removed.... It said something about changing some file parameters, and so.. But at that time it didn't work either.

If there's something you could suggest I check, please tell me. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.