• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

2 and 3 digit extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

engin411

Customer
Reaction score
Our 3CX phone system currently uses 2 digit extensions. That was at the request of one of the company owners. Our users like this too. More simple than 3 digit extensions, although I grant you the difference is minor.

I'm running out of extension numbers since we have a couple queues and paging and fax extensions in use (a predictable situation, I know). What are my best options? Must I switch the PBX to use all 3 digit extensions? I'm Ok with doing that as far as how to do so, but I was hoping that 3CX in its magic can allow the current 2 digit stuff to stay and yet allow me to use some 3 digit extension numbers as well.

If I must switch to a 3 digit numbering scheme, is there a way to clone/alias the current extensions so that users can still use 2 digits and those 2 digits would be converted to 3 digits in the background? Something like "enter 23 for paging" but the software (or our Yealink phones) would convert that to 123 without the user needing to do anything different than what they are accustomed to at the moment.

Thanks.

If you convert to 3-digit extensions, you can add the old 2-digit number in the SIP ID field (on the Other tab) which will allow users to dial that number to reach the extension. However, all the official listings generated by the system (directories/phonebooks) will show the actual extension. This only works for extensions and not ring/paging groups or call queues, but if you wanted to create shorter codes for them, you could create an unused extension number, assign the short code to SIP ID, and forward the extension to the designated group.

You also would not be able to use SIP ID codes in combination with other codes, such as Intercom or direct voicemail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.