Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

2 Digits Ext

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jasonhayes, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

I setup our 3CX system with 3 Digits. This was a bit short sighted as we now have expaneded and need 3. How can I go about changing this. I hope there is some fix, but I expect the answer will be to rebuild 3CX. If I backup the 2 digit data, can I add a number somehow in that data then restore it.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

There is no way to alter a backup such that the extension digit length can be altered automatically upon a restore.

This has come up before, but I do not recall the outcome so I suggest you do a search of the forum first; otherwise:

What you might try is to download a demo copy of the software onto a different machine and set it up to be 2 digits. Once done then go to settings, advanced and then custom parameters and look for the variable "ENL" and change to 3 and then restart the system and see how it reacts. You will need to do your own due diligence as I have no idea how this may impact the operation and stability of the overall system......so test every aspect you can before committing to your production environment.

You might also consider contacting 3CX support or your reseller if lacking a support contract.

Finally, keep in mind that you may still need to manually provision the phones regardless of how the system gets manipulated. I do not know that the system will automatically go back and re-write the configuration files, create new ones, etc., so again do the due diligence on the test system.

Finally, there is the tried and proven method of starting over. What better way to spend the weekend :D

3. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Thanks. Really not looking forward to copying the settings line by line. Would love to change it from 2 to 3, it then start up even with errors, then change ext, ring groups etc, just by adding an extra digit.

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

if you go to settings--->advanced---->customer parimeters and change the extensions from 2 to 3 digitsyou will then be prompted to change ecah of the extension numbers. Id suggest you do a backup before and after, though its pretty simple and wouldnt expect you have much trouble making the change. When you make the changes to the extensions however you have them configured for the ring groups etc will be the same except you will now have your three digit exgtensionsl

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I strongly do not advice to change the ENL after an setup! 3CX uses a vast amount of dialer strings for the outbound rules, ivrs and so on. you may find that you can change the ENL and then open all ext in ur system and add a number to it to make it fit the ENL. after doing so and been happy working for 1 year a problem comes which is related to this change and then you need to start NEW but with 100% more ext and settings as you have now...

so better now -> make new

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

really not sure what to do. ICould save a few hours having to manually copy setting by setting details across or spent 10 minutes updating all the Queue's, Ring Groups etc.

7. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Well, for my money, I would follow the advice of Stephan (being that he is with 3CX and knows more about the product than most of us ever will) and simply redo the system and chalk it up to lesson learned. If something should show up later, then you also have to contend with the other modifications you will have made in the meantime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.