2 sites with 3CX and Extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by geoff.jukes, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoff.jukes

Hi,

My apologies in advance if this is documented somewhere and I just haven't seen it.

We are planning a 2-site 3CX installation, with a site-to-site VPN to enable PBX-to-PBX call transfer/intercom/etc. I am still in the proof of concept stage, so I am flexible.

Basically, we want to be able to 'internally' call users of each location using thier extensions, and allow for call transfer etc.

I have set up site 1 with 4-digit extensions, my thinking being we can nominate the first digit to represent the site, but I don't know if that is required.

So the question is, really, what is the recommended way of handling extension numbers in a multi-site configuration?

Many thanks,

Geoff

2. jasit

jasit New Member

If you think you may have more then 100 people at one site then you want 4 digit extensions. If you know you will have less then a 100 then go with 3 digit dialing. we currently have both

I wouldn't add any additional numbers to the dial the remotes sites because it will only confuse the users. So if bill is extension 330 at site b, then tom at site a dials 330. If tom's ext is 2234 then that's what bill dials. so when you build your outbound rules on the bridge a is starts with 3 length of 3 and then select the bridge name. and the exact same on the other side.

just remember important external 3 digit numbers
    311 so start your extentions above 311 and have your outbound rule for 311 first in the list
    911 stay away from the 9xx extentions, just in case :)

3. geoff.jukes

Hi Jasit, thanks for the response.

Sounds like I figured; nominate the first digit as a site code as part of the extensions, rather than creating an inter-site rule.

i.e. Bob = 1234, Fred = 2234, Tony = 3234 - each on a different site.

That way, extensions become 'universal', and I use rules to match (as you said) '4 digits and starts with X route to Site'. It would also mean that the Extension displayed to Bob on his phone, and the one he tells everyone to dial, will work on either site.

Perfect plan. Thank you for helping me understand.

Geoff

4. jasit

jasit New Member

one quick note, that currently the ext # don't go across the bridge, only the extention's name and the bridge number.

If you hardcode your outbound caller id to the gateway's outbound line, then you can use the extention number in the outbound caller id of each extention to go across the bridge. If you do some searching you will see what I mean.

currently what you see is Jim 10001 instead of Jim 1234

if you put the 1234 in the caller id as mentioned above it will go through the bridge, but if you don't hardcode the gateway it will also show up on your outbound calls too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.