2 stage dialing with SPA3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by saybubba, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saybubba

I have configured my spa3102 with the 3CX guide and it is working as expected.

However, before I can use the outbound line on my spa3102, I need to dial a fixed sequence to access that line. I've read on the forums that two-stage dialing is not supported in the 3CX Phonesystem. However, I thought it might be possible to have the SPA3102 perform the two-stage dialing procedure by modifying the dial plan in the SPA3102 (in fact there is even an option to toggle two-stage dialing).

I've been toying around a bit, but with my limited knowledge of the spa3102 I do not know how to accomplish this (or if this is at all posssible with a SPA3102/3CX system).

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I try to never say never, however, I suspect that what you are trying to accomplish is highly improbable. First off, the 3102 seems to have been designed to work on a standard PSTN line, not a PBX line where you have to dial a number, wait for a second dialtone and then dial the "outside" number, which is the sort of thing it sounds like you are trying to do,

In two stage dialling, the 3102 will return dialtone once the VoIP caller has connected to it, it then will collect digits (DTMF) from the caller, all without taking the PSTN line off hook until the dialled digits match a valid dialling plan in the 3102.

Now, what you might be able to do is...If the digits you need to dial first are, say, 99. Then create a dialplan for those digits in the 3102. When you get dialtone (3102 generated) and dial 99, the 3102 would match to the dialplan and then go off hook and dial 99 on the PSTN line, the VoIP line would then be connected to the PSTN and would have to manually dial the rest of the phone number. At this point you may or may not have dialtone depending on what the PSTN sends back to you after you dial the required "access digits".

The problem with this is that you can only send the "access code", or in this case the 99, automatically from 3CX. the rest of the number(s) will have to be dialled by the caller, not a very user friendly way to call out.

If you used an analogue set with a speed dial key, it could send the access code, pause (as needed) then send the remaining digits.

3. saybubba

Hi Leejor:

Thanks for your insight. You solution would work for me. Do you have any idea how to implement this in the SPA 3102, what settings to change?

Also, instead of doing your suggested procedure, would it be possible for the SPA 3102 to collect the digits I am dialing (a regular 10 digit phone number), have that match a dialplan on the SPA 3102, always add the prefix to that 10 digit number (in my case that would be <99 pause> -- note that the pause is key, I need to wait to get another dialtone), taking the pstn line on hook and forwarding the phone number with the prefix to the outside line?

Thanks for your help.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It will collect the digits but only so that it can match it to a valid string. I know no way of having it modify the digits you have dialed and it has analyzed. It's not as flexible as the dial-plan is on the line side of things, that dial-plan allows a lot of digit manipulation.
    I have only set up the 3102 in the two stage mode using PIN or caller ID to allow access directly to dialtone. You are probably going ho have to spend some time dong trail and error testing. Downloading the Admin manual is probably a good start, it gives a description of all of the settings and what they do. You will probably be concerned, at this point, with the two PSTN tabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.