Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

*20* pickup problem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by spuddie, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuddie

I've recently been working on setting up phone provisioning in the office. On the test system the *20* pickup function works fine with the new template I created, so I modified the template slightly for the Cisco SPA502G and SPA504G and copied over to live system. Applied the new firmware template and now it doesn't work on the live. It was working fine before I applied the new template. It still works on the test system and I've even tried rebuilding the template again.

I've checked the dialcodes on the system itself under Settings > advanced > Dial codes and that correctly shows *20*

Any ideas or help on what could be wrong? I've used the same template in another office and believe that works fine.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

A few thoughts -

1. Did you test the Cisco functionality on the test system before moving to live?
    2. Are the Cisco phones that were (may have been) used for both test scenarios at the same firmware level?
    3. Did you take into account the different subfolder that each system has for the provisioning files and did you modify the provisioning path accordingly on the phones if using the same phones on both the test and live systems?
    4. You can locate the phone configuration files in the provisioning folder and compare between the test and live system to possibly see the differences. It should be an XML file.

3. netswork

netswork Active Member

make sure that dial code is in the dial plan on your template, unless your using the default dial plan

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spuddie

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Still no luck as yet but I can confirm:

1) Cisco functionality was working on test system before moving to live.
    2) Both sets of phones on same firmware, part of my template includes a firmware upgrade and this works fine.
    3) Both systems are set to the same subfolder for the provisioning, I've even used one of these working files on the test system as a new template for the live and still same problem.
    4) I've looked through the xml files and compared and so far not able to find anything different other than the IP address used for the host system during the firmware update.

The dial plan I'm currently using is:

<Dial_Plan_1_ group="Ext_1/Dial_Plan">([1-8]xx|9,999|9,0[1-9]xxxxxxxxx|9,[1-9]xxxxx|900xxxxxxxxxxxxx).</Dial_Plan_1_>

Can anyone see a problem with this? I'm assuming it's not the dial plan as it worked before on the same dialplan before the upgrade and also works on the test system with this one.

Thanks in advance

5. lneblett

Some clarification:

The *20* -

Is this being manually dialed using the keypad or, is this in the template as a soft key so that someone can simply hit the key and have the phone automatically dial the code?

If you dial manually and it does not work, then you may want to have a look at the DTMF settings on the phone. Set them to the RFC if not already.

You might also try other dial codes to see if the "*" is simply not being recognized.

If a manual keying does work, then there should be no reason that a programmed soft key won't work...if done correctly.

I am just a little confused as the template should have nothing to do with how a manual key is affected unless it is related to the DTMF or possible the dial plan. You may want to factory reset the phone and manually provision to test the dial plan and the DTMF settings. Once you find out the issue, then you will know what to fix in the template.

6. spuddie

Hi Ineblett,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I can confirm the *20* is failing from the keypad. Eg if extension 601 is ringing I press *20*601 but fails with a fail tone.I've had a look through the phone settings but cannot find anywhere to set DTMF as RFC, can you point me in the right direction?

I'm going to try resetting the phone to default and manually provision and see if returns to normal then try to iron out from there.

Regards

7. lneblett

You can find the DTMF setting under the "Ext X" tab for each extension and then under "audio configuration" and "DTMF TX Method".

Do any of the other dial codes which use the "*" work?

8. spuddie

Thanks, I've found the box you mentioned but cannot see a RFC option. It's currently on Auto but the options I have are:

InBand
    AVT
    INFO
    Auto
    InBand+INFO
    AVT+INFO

Just tested the *0/*1 for parking and picking up a call and that worked fine

regards

9. spuddie

If it helps these are the options it is currently set up as

Attached Files:

• 3cx.jpg
      3cx.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  10. lneblett

If the other dial codes worked, then there should be no reason that the others will not as the DTMF aspect is picking up the keys.

Do a factory reset and the try the *20* option after manually provisioning just the base SIP and extension parameters.

11. spuddie

I've also noticed it's different to if I have the handset lifted up or not

Handset down:
    *20*525 then dial then get the invalid number error

Lift handset up:
    get as far as *2 then get invalid number error

This is the only * option we have that has another * at the end of it, would that make a difference?

I tried the factory reset earlier and re tested with error still there but I'll give it another try.

Thanks for your help on this so far.

12. lneblett

I have a 504 which I will program up in the office tomorrow and test and let you know the results.

13. spuddie

Thanks

let me know if you need any other info, happy to send over a copy of the template I'm using if needed.

Regards

14. lneblett

I did and it worked just fine. I am using the default dial plan on the phone. Both *20* and *20*ext# worked fine.

15. lneblett

Go ahead and try again using the existing set-up and post the logs. Maybe we will see what it does not like. Following is a copy of the dial plan....very exotic and complicated: [x*]. The . is a part of the plan. As you can see, I spent literally seconds getting to the reset keys.

We know the "*" key is being interpreted correctly based upon the use of the other dial codes, so this just leaves the "2" key in question. Dial a number that involves its use and see if the call is completed correctly to the dialed number. You might also, just for grins, change the code to something else and then see if manually dialing the code provides the same results. You could then change it back to the original setting and see.

I assume you are running the approved firmware, but in all honesty, I would be somewhat surprised to see this have an effect on DTMF as hundreds of users would be complaining.

16. spuddie

Thanks for your help with this, it's now working by adding *20*xxx in the dial plan.

Bit confusing as I tried this in my earlier testing with no luck but a second try and it now does, odd but main thing is it now works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.