Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3 Digit Extension Dial Plan

Discussion in 'Windows' started by magicalproductions, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magicalproductions

I assume I am giving the correct nomenclature here but I might be off. Anyhow, here is the scenario:

3CX at remote datacenter, no extensions locally connected
    I'm testing with a softphone on my PC and a SPA941. Both are connected and work.

When I dial a 3 digit extension from the softphone it "calls" immediately. When I dial a 3 digit extension from the SPA941 it takes several seconds before it actually "calls". Not sure if this is the dial plan on the phone or something I need to change in 3CX.

2. albertc

This seem to be a normal behavier for any voip phone. That few seconds "wait time" is there in case you are calling a number that has more than 3digits long. To make the dial happen immediately, dial the extension number than press the # key and your phone will dial the extension immediately.

3. magicalproductions

Humm.. I was hoping there was a dialing plan change I could make. I found someone saying adding something like this to the dial plan would help:

[1-9]xxxS0

But I messed around with my SPA941 and the provisioning templates and could not get this to work.

4. albertc

if you really want your phone to dial a 3digit extension only. u can change the dial plan by logging into the phone web admin page and you can make the changes there. Login as admin and change to advanced view. Under your Extension tab and you should find it at the very bottom of the page where there is a Dail Plan section.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That dialplan would still be waiting for a fourth digit...

Something like [1-9]xxS0 is what you want for 3 digit numbers. You'd still want something that would also handle outside calls.
    There are a number of sites that have information and examples of Linksys dialplans, if you do a search.

This is but one...http://www.toao.net/108-linksys-dial-plan-tips

6. magicalproductions

Thanks.. I was thinking this could be the right dial plan?

([1-9]xxS0|[x*].)

I tried setting it but the phone re-provisions itself, it seems, so I save the change and after a few reboots it is back to the provisioned setting ([x*].)

I guess I need to turn off provisioning to test this properly.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are using auto provisioning, then the phone will pick up the dialplan from 3CX, you'd have to define a proper one for it to get.

You will probably want to created a bit more complicated plan that will handle you other numbers. I'm not too sure what you are trying to accomplish with the [x*].

It is going to depend how you dial local, long distance and international number. You also have to remember to have something to handle emergency numbers and any special "short" codes. Sit down and make a list of all the types of numbers you will be dialling. I find it is much easier if you use an access code for outside calls, but it can be done even if you don't.

8. magicalproductions

Thanks again, the [x*] is what 3CX suggests (and uses in it's templates for linksys). I assume that evaluates to "anything" not being too familiar with the expressions for dial plans.

So I assumed this plan ([1-9]xxS0|[x*].) would immediately dial the 3 digit extensions or let you type in anything else. All in all this isn't really that big of a deal just wanted to learn the system.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The "default" plan suggested by 3CX will not block just about anything, it still requires the # ,or, a timeout, before digits are sent to 3CX.

The combination you have will not allow you to call anything but a 3 digit number (unless it starts with zero) as the first part of the dialplan will intercept after the third digit.

You will eventually want to work out a proper dialplan.

10. evapavlik

Dears,
    i'm testing the 3CX Phone System and we have 3 digits extension plan. Do I understand right that I cannot setup the extension starting with 0? We have the VOIP operator who setup for us the range of the extensions from 000-100, so in that case I'm not able to use that extension? What is the reason for this as I know for example Kerio Operator allows to setup zero extension without any doubt?
    If I receive the range from operator for ex. 212 123 000-212 123 100, so I'm gonna use as alternative the 4 digit plan and and setup the extension starting with 3000?

Thanks for all your help
    Eva P.

11. albertc

It shouldnt matter what your voip provider have setup. when you dial a number from your phone, 3CX will determine either it is an internal call or external call based on the local extension setting within your 3cx server and the Outbound rules you setup.

12. evapavlik

Dear Albert,
    thanks for the reply. Yes, thats clear it doesnt depend on my voip provider. The issue what I'm facing is with the creation of the new extension. When I tried to create new extension for 3 digits with the number 047, it got the error message from the application, I'm not able to create the number starting with 0. The message is: The entered number is invalid and the app propose me to put the extension 100 at least.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Extension numbering beginning with zero is pretty much unheard of. Some systems may allow it, and some users may have it implemented, but it is not the "norm". In many PBX's, the zero (alone) is used to connect to the operator/receptionist.

14. evapavlik

Sure, I understand it isn't a standard to have a zero at the beginning of number, I thought more the number for an extension starting with 0.

For example: range from +420 222 234 001 to +420 22 234 100 - in this case what kind of numbering you would propose to, if we need to have the extensions 001, 002, 003, 004 etc.

15. albertc

Seem like you are talking about DID here and want to match it with the internal extension. As leejor said, extension starting with 0 is not a norm and in many pbx system, it simply wouldn't work and not an option at all. I believe 3CX is one of them.

If you have DID that have number sequence starting 001-100, i would suggest your 3cx installation to use a 4 digit extension plan and add a 1 in front of your DID matching extension. For example. For the DID +420 222 234 001, you will use extension 1001. So, 001 becomes 1001 and 002 becomes 1002 and so forth. It will still be easy for the internal users to know what number for which extension and for system admin purpose.

16. evapavlik

Albert, exactly you got my point. I'm sorry I haven't pointed out precisely before I'm talking about the internal lines. As you propose I thought about the same solution to have 4 digits and add the number before, for the example above it gonna be 4001, 4002 etc.

I hope it will work. Thank you very much for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.