32bit install on 64bit OS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ngunn, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngunn

Dec 5, 2008

I'm trying to get 3CX up and running on a VPS and I'm nearly there!

Unfortunately, it appears that although the OS is running as 64bit, IIS (version 6) is configured for 32bit only to support the installation of plesk.

When 3CX installs - it appears it detects that the OS is 64bit and installs the management site assuming this will be the case for IIS? As it's not possible to run both 32bit and 64bit application pools in IIS6 (though I've read this is possible in IIS7) - is it possible to force 3CX to use a 32 bit install?

I've also tried cassini as a backup approach, but have hit problems with this too and would prefer to stick with IIS?

Can anyone suggest a solution?

2. kevin

kevin Member

Nov 23, 2006

Installing under IIS in 32-bit with ths OS in 64-bit is currently not working.

At this time, the only option available to you to install 3CX is to use Cassini as the web server. The latest 7.1 available for download has a number of fixes implemented which resolve some issues previously visible with Cassini.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ngunn

Dec 5, 2008

OK thanks..

I think I must just be unlucky, as when I install the IIS version - it installs without errors, (until you come to log into the management page).

However when I install with Cassini - it gets to the last step of the wizard and fails to start the services :

3CX PhoneSystem Media Server

Looking in Event viewer there are some ASP.NET errors:

Event code: 3008
    Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
    Event time: 4/1/2009 1:15:00 PM
    Event time (UTC): 4/1/2009 5:15:00 PM
    Event ID: c912d512f877409fbef0586838a0d578
    Event sequence: 3
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: 56d29d22-1-128830796781250000
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\myPhone\
    Machine name: CT719

Process information:
    Process ID: 21320
    Process name: UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Exception information:
    Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
    Exception message: Could not load file or assembly '3cxpscomcpp2, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=53c4927ce4749cb4' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1) (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\myPhone\web.config line 126)

Request information:
    Request URL:
    Request path: /index.aspx
    User host address:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 18
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective)
    at System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai)
    at System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal()
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig)
    at System.Web.Compilation.WebDirectoryBatchCompiler..ctor(VirtualDirectory vdir)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.BatchCompileWebDirectoryInternal(VirtualDirectory vdir, Boolean ignoreErrors)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)
    at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Any ideas what I'm doing wronng? Is this another 32/64bit problem?

If I go to the mnagement page now I get an error : Could not load file or assembly '3cxpscomcpp2

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Jun 7, 2007
    Yes this is exactly why it will not work. The installation will work because the installation has nothing to do with the loading of IIS.

Since the machine is 64 bit, it will install 64 bit DLL's. That is because it assumes that the 64 bit machine has the standard IIS that came with it - ie running 64 bit.

When you open the site IIS is running in 32 bit mode and loading the 64bit dll will fail. This is because if IIS is running in 32 bit mode, it expects the dlls to be in 32 bit.

This is why it will try to load them on a 32 bit environment and it will fail.

You have 2 options -
    1) Install Cassini,
    2) Install on IIS on another machine that runs IIS in native mode. A virtual machine for example.

What are the problems that you had with Cassini?

What version are you using?

If the services are not starting this is a separate issue. I think you have some traces left from a previous installation.

To solve this you have to UNinstall, Run the installation checker available from
    http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/downloads (installation checker tool)
    Follow the FAQ's and remove the traces left.
    Restart the machine
    After this install latest version 7.1 and select Cassini.

Thanks and regards
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.