3CS on AWS EC2 for the IT challenged person

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by damienlinn, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damienlinn

Hi Guys,

We are setting up a new business and keen to limit the amount of on-prem equipment. 3CX looks like a great phone system and we'd like to be able to install it on the Amazon AWS EC2.

Wondering if anyone has experience installing, I am not an IT genius but have been able to get the following bits installed:
    on AWS - set up in EC2 a Windows Server 2012 R2 instance, given it an Elastic IP address and installed the 3CX system software; loaded the SIP provider details (we are using Engin in Australia) and installed the softphone on a couple of computers and devices. I can't for the life of me work out how to get the softphones working and talking to the server.

Would love any suggestions on things I should check or do - think IT for idiots as my skill level.

Any help much appreciated, Damien

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi there!

Try the following:
    - Edit the extension settings.
    - In the General tab set a valid email address which you have access to, then press Apply.
    - In the Options tab make sure the "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN" option is NOT checked, then press Apply.
    - Repeat the above for all extensions.
    - Go to Settings -> General -> Mail Server tab, and fill in with valid Mail Server credentials.
    - Go to Settings -> Network -> STUN Server tab, here check option "Turn off STUN requests" and fill in the fields accordingly, then press Apply (you must have a static public IP).
    - Go to Settings -> Phone Provisioning, here make sure the "External/Public IP Address" field has the correct public IP, then press Apply.
    - Go to Settings -> Advanced, here check option "Allow calls from/to external SIP" and in the "Local SIP Domain" field enter you public IP Address, then press Apply.
    - Go to Services Status -> Restart All. This will restart all the 3CX Phone System services.
    - Finally, once all services start again go to Settings -> Firewall Checker and run it. Make sure that all results come back green. If not speak with your hosting company so that all necessary ports are opened. IMPORTANT! Don't forget to restart the 3CX services again after the Firewall Checker as they don't start automatically.

If all goes well, all you should have to do now is go to the Extensions node, highlight the extension you want to register and then Press the "Send Welcome email" button. This will send an email that has an provisioning file attached to it. If you download it on a machine that has 3CX Phone client installed and double-click it, it should start 3CX Phone and connect automatically.

If this doesn't work for you, check in Settings -> Security -> IP Blacklist that your IP has not been blacklisted. If so remove it and press Apply.
    If still you have a problem give us some more information of what error you are getting on the 3CX Phone client.

3. mike.petersen

OP, have you have you had any luck with this? I'm looking into doing a global multi-office setup with 3cx and having the servers in the cloud and am curious how it worked for you.

4. dangmoss

One problem is probably firewall rules on your instance

5. bardissi

bardissi Member

Amazon in their own terms and conditions states they DO NOT SUPPORT VOICE APPLICATIONS.

Dont do it.

6. Marcelo

Estoy utilizando una centralita 3cx version gratis, en una instancia Ec2, tambien por un año gratis, con extensiones a sofphones, ht503 y Gigaset A580 IP, con una troncal para salir a pstn, un DID, en España hasta ahora sin problemas
    Estoy en Argentina
    I do not speak English , use a translator google
    I am using a PBX 3CX version free, in an EC2 instance , also by a free year, with extensions to sofphones , HT503 and Gigaset A580 IP , with a trunk to get out to PSTN , a DID , in Spain so far without problems
    I'm in Argentina

7. Abigailfx

Your good idea, and I'm look forward to meet you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.