3CX 10/11 and Call Forward

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by shatty, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shatty

I installed V11 today. Was also having this problem before v11. I have 31 Cisco SPA508g phones. Ring group 1 has all 31 phones ringing at the same time and if no answer in 30 secs, goes to voicemail for operator. If a user sets the call forward on their phone thru the phone itself by pressing the cfwd button, after no answer on the ring group, it goes to the number that the user programmed when they pressed the cfwd button. No matter how long I set the ring time for on the ring group. I only want the user to be able to use that feature if a call is transferred to their extension. Any ideas?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Generally. any call forward option assigned to an individual line, when part of a ring group, will be ignored unless it is a call direct to the extension number. It sounds as if they invoking a set option rather than a 3CX option. It sound as if the call forward key requires a different set-up.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

While I may not grasp it all, it sounds like some are using the features of the phone itself to override the settings that would otherwise be programmed in 3cx. The phone certainly has no understanding about ring groups, but at the individual level extension level, it can control DND, call forward, etc. can you not program the phone to eliminate the functions you do not want people to control at the phone level and either provide MyPhone or have the call routings pre-programmed of where to forward and then allow the user to control with dial codes for status changes?

4. shatty

So to my understand from your replies, i can not use call forwarding on the phones at all if they are in a ring group?

5. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

As a Cisco SPA508g is a multi line phone the best method is to separate accounts for personal numbers and ring groups.

Give the phones two extension numbers on the 3CX server :-

100 - Direct Line
    101 - Ring Group

102 - Direct line
    103 - Ring Group

104 - Direct Line
    105 - Ring Group

Etc.

Then assign 101, 103, 104 to the ring group. Now users can specify personal setting on extensions 100, 102,104 without having any effect on the ring group calls. Depending on the settings on the phone it may be possible to deny the users the authority to forward calls on the second extension number.

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I think we are all saying the same thing in that there should only be one controller of a given extension. You have 3cx contolling the ring group, but the phons by themselves cannot control 3cx. In essence, allowing the phones to control call handling overrides the system control. Paul is providing a work around by separating the personal from the group settings. The bottom line is that call handling on a single extension number needs to be controlled by one "master" . Currently, you are allowing users to effectively override some of the 3cx settings.

7. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Just a little bit thinking about your problem, could you confirm two points.

A call comes into a ring group and 31 extensions ring. One caller forwards to an external number.

Is the outcome that 30 extensions and the one external number ring at the same time or does only the external number ring with no ringing or just a couple of rings on the 30 extensions.

I am just trying to understand how the extension handles the forwarding of the call, does it simply kick it back to an external number or is actually answering the call then forwarding the call afterwards.

The second point is what do you use to forward the call, a sip line or an ATA to PSTN. Sip trunks are able to give accurate feed back on the call status to 3CX, ATA's actually answer the call as far as Sip is concerned before starting the forward so confuse 3CX and prevent further action on the call, IE a transfer to a voice mail account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.