3CX 11 in VM "Service got signal to stop" on reboot

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mcbsys, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Hi,

I think I have found a workaround for this issue but I'd still like to understand what is happening.

I am running 3CX 11.0.28976.849. I updated from SP2 to SP4 about a 10 days ago. The software runs on 32-bit Windows 7, which is running as a Hyper-V client under Server 2008 R2. Hyper-V Time Synchronization is turned OFF; the client machine is part of a domain and gets its time from the domain controller.

The last few times I have rebooted the 3CX virtual machine, I have found that most of the services are not running:

Checking the server event log, I see "Service got signal to stop: stop service". I took this screen shot about five minutes after the machine rebooted. Note that the timestamp of the message is about one hour before the system time:

The corresponding event in the System event log shows the time of the service stop about one hour after the 3CX event message:

My workaround was to open the Windows Services manager and set the 3CXPhoneSystem service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". With that setting, 3CX does start and stay running on a reboot.

So my question is, what is causing 3CX to stop? Where is the "signal to stop" coming from? If I had to guess, I'd say 3CX is starting before the system finishes connecting to the domain and updating the clock. 3CX somehow detects the clock skew and shuts down. But why did this issue just start in the last couple weeks? Is Delayed Start the best solution?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Well that only partially worked. Windows 7 installed updates last night and rebooted. The main 3CX PhoneSystem service started, but others failed.

From the Windows event log:
    So it failed because it completed successfully. Huh?

Why are these services not starting on reboot?

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I'd consider putting the 3cx server on a standalone machine, or disable automatic updates. If you know that machine doesnt start services try another machine and see if you get the same results though I doubt you will. hope this helps!

4. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

jpillow, thanks for your reply.

This machine should be pretty "clean" in that it's a VM that only runs 3CX. Don't have another machine available at the moment.

I've discovered a DNS configuration issue on the Domain Controller that may have been behind this. The router was pointing to the DC as the first DNS server, but the DC was pointing to the router as the first DNS forwarder. Since Windows 2012 Essentials does not allow removing the router as a forwarder, I've removed the DC from the router's list of DNS servers. The 3CX machine now has a fixed DNS entry pointing to the DC. More in this blog post: 2012 Essentials Internet Connection Errors.

Since making that change, I've been able to manually reboot the 3CX machine and see all the 3CX services start automatically, even after changing the main service from "Automatic (Delayed Start)" back to "Automatic". I haven't seen yet what happens when Windows installs an update and reboots automatically, but I'm hopeful that this fixes it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.