Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX 12 configure with remote Patton 4114 gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mon, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mon

mon

Hey Guys

I'm setting up 3CX at a remote location and want to link in my Patton 4114 gateway that is at a different location.
    I've heard that the best way to do it is with a VPN connection.

But I'm not sure how to go about doing it and which style of VPN connection I should use.

Has anyone setup a configuration like this before? What would you guys recommend?

Kind Regards
    Aaron

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

While I haven't done a remote Patton, I have done remote offices and have done a local Patton.

What they are describing it a site-to-site VPN, negotiated between the two firewalls. After VPN connectivity is established between networks, traffic should route accordingly.. and thus point the Patton to the PBX's LAN address. The expected result is it traverses the VPN "tunnel" to the other location's LAN and finally the PBX.. and back.

If a VPN is foreign.. then a port-forward and remote extension config for the Patton will be as well.. as would be a SIP proxy.

3. mon

mon

Hey Ian

Thanks for your help. I don't mind giving VPN a go. If I can't get it going I can always do a port forward.
    Do you know what VPN connection method would be recommended for stability and security for this kind of setup?
    E.g. PPTP, L2F, L2TP?

Kind Regards
    Aaron

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

My vpn preference for site-to-site has been OpenVPN. It has never let me down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

With all of the "news" coming out now a days, one has to wonder,is anything really "secure" any more?

That said, my understanding is that PPTP is the least secure of them, hell, Blackberry wouldn't even put it on it's devices, sighting security as the reason. However, while you can spend some money on a couple of "big name" VPN routers (client and server) there are less expensive methods to allow "testing" before any large expenses.

I have had good luck with the DD-WRT firmware loaded into a number of compatible routers. The most common, and least expensive currently on on the market seems to be the D-Link DIR-615 (about $30). The firmware allows one to be uses as a client and the other to be set as the server. If you use something else as one end, then you only need router one at the other

Unfortunately, it only uses PPTP, so do some research on the advantages and differences in security that each type of VPN offers, before moving forward.

You also have to ask, am I more worried about people listening in on my phone calls, or hacking into my devices, and does that have any bearing on the VPN method I choose.

6. mon

mon

hey leejor and cobaltit

Thanks for your replies. I've locked down the firewall for the remote site so it will only send data to my static IP.
    I hope that helps improve security too. I'll do some research on which VPN would be more secure to use.

One question though, would using a VPN be more secure than a simple port-forward and remote extension config for the Patton?

Kind Regards
    Aaron

7. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

VPN traffic is, by nature, encrypted.
    SIP and RTP, by nature, is not encrypted.

Security-wise, VPN is more secure.
    You could employ SIPS and SRTP if you cared to encrypt the traffic directly.. but typically I don't find it necessary.. and good luck with the trunk provider's end. ;)

Most would employ VPN if security is the concern.. it secures data just as well.

8. mon

mon

Hey Guys

Ok so I ran into a problem. My cloud host won't support my Sonicwall TZ210 or my Billion 7800DX modem or any third party VPN software. They only support Cisco and Juniper :-/

So I may have to go with option 2. A port-forward and remote extension config for the Patton.
    Has anyone seen a guide on how to set up a remote extension config for a Patton?
    How would I go about doing that?

Kind Regards
    Aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.