Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX and backup public IP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Khorny, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:15 PM.

1. Khorny

Hello everybody,

I'm facing a bit conserning problem...
    I'm having a 3cx system V15.5 on premise configured and running with 3cx FQDN bound to a static public IP address.

Now for precautions there is another interntet provider and another static public IP address.

Has anyone have an idea if this is possible:
    - to register 3cx FQDN to two(2) different Public IP address and configured the 3cx system to be able to use both of them? so it would be redundant internet provider and in case one of them is down the other would take its place and there would be minor drop?

I know that there is posible to have mirror 3cx system set up but you need a prety expencive licence to by and do an install etc. - but this is NOT something I need.

And I'm saying conserning problem because if you have on premis instalation with only softphones instalation you should have a backup solution if the main internet provider drops.

2. Charles Murray

Possibly, you could configure the IP as "Dynamic" on the PBX itself. That way, if the PBX switched from using one public IP to the other, the 3CX FQDN would just get updated automatically. Of course, this wouldn't take into consideration caching of FQDN, which might take a little while to catch-up.

3. Khorny

Hi, I`m aware of this possibility but can't spear 2-6 hours for fqdn to refresh ip address..
    That's the main purpose for backup internet line. It must kick in in about minute or so.

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

So if you can either afford the downtime or you can afford the license (shorter TTL or use your own FQD) to minimize the downtime or the infrastructure (cloud hosted or SDWAN solution) to avoid the downtime. I'm assuming most of your users are remote softphones otherwise this should be a non-issue so is it really on-premise? It would seem in that situation cloud hosting would be a better fit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Marari

Marari New Member

Enterprise licensing isn't that much more than a pro license. And if you need the standby license and failover, the price really is irrelevant. As @cobaltit said - you either save money, or you save time.

You pick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Andyshawn

So i would suggest, use your own managed DNS server and set your own FQDN, so that way you have full control of how quickly the DNS changes are updated.

7. Andyshawn

Or could simply consider hosting the 3CX server in a more robust environment such as AWS where you don't have to worry about the Internet connection to the PBX going down.