3CX and Cisco 7941G - Help Needed!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by SampleX, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SampleX

Hi there,

Newish to 3cx...

Have been playing with it on and off for a while, always with softphones, before being convinced that I should try Asterisk/Trixbox, which I did. Obviously it goes without saying that 3cx is so much easier to use, and nicer to use, however...

I have a SIP Cisco 7941G IP Phone to use with whatever my 'PBX' setup is going to be. With my Trixbox setup (using TrixboxCE) I had an issue connecting the Cisco where the Cisco reported constantly that it was 'registering' but never did manage to register and timed out instead... The root of this problem was traced to a setting in Trixbox which allowed 'NAT' to be switched off and the phone connected instantly at that point (No NAT is involved in my current setup as the IP Phone and the Trixbox Server, at present, are both on Public IP addresses (within the same range) pending further testing and configuration.) Naturally the phone itself is also set to No NAT through the config file. The phone, of course, connects to the TFTP server and updates with the new config...

The only problem I had with this system was choppy sound, because Asterisk/Trixbox don't play nice on VM's and I am running my VOIP server as a VM (VMware Workstation) on my P4 2.8Ghz server box running Win2k3Server (which hosts Kerio Mail Server and Bulletproof FTP also (low usage) with 2gig RAM (800Mb seconded for Asterisk) so before stumping up for a new dedicated box to put Trixbox on, I thought I'd try the competition to see if it could make for a production environment within a VM setting.

So I've come back to 3cx to attempt an implementation with the IP Phone...

And I've got the same problem with the phone... The config files for the two 'rigs' are nearly identical - I use the same extension numbers and password, and I only need to change the IP address. So I shut down the Asterisk VM and then fire up the 3cx VM (which is also built on the Win2K3Server environment using VM because 3cx didn't play nice with existing installs of PHP, MySQL and Apache on the server host) and in principle, having updated the phone with the edited (and saved) config file and rebooted, the two should be making glorious music together, or at least humming the same song...

However, nada. Niente.

This feels like the same problem, and I'm looking for the place in 3cx to turn off this expectation of NAT traversal, but with the simplified interface on 3cx, it doesn't appear that 3cx delves into that level of complexity, which is no doubt absolutely great if all your hardware just 'works.'

For the record, I have also configured a softphone to run as an extension to 3cx, and the softphone works fine. The trunk for 3cx is out to a Sipgate account for incoming and outgoing, and works fine with the Softphone.

Any ideas how I just tweek this Cisco/3CX config to get the Cisco working - I think 3CX could be the answer to my one-man 'virtual office' needs - meeting statutory requirements for one of the business types that I work in, while not spending the fortune on being a massive company and having physical phone lines and call management...

Help...

Thanks,

Steve

2. SampleX

Has no one managed to get this phone working with 3cx?

3. Henk

Henk Member

Can you post some of the server status logs? That might help to analyse the problem.

H.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nebula

Nebula New Member

Steve,

I am interested to know how you sucessfully converted the 7941 to SIP.

Thanks.

5. SampleX

I found what may be the source of one of the problems...

The phone has been accessing TFTP and calling the config files, but the settings do not 'take'... so following instructions found on VOIPinfo, I did a factory reset on the phone. Only problem is that the tutorial in question failed to mention that you needed the contents of the firmware (I need 7941G firmware for SIP 8-3-2) in the TFTP server, or you brick the phone...

And now I'm stunned to find that I need to pay Cisco tens, or hundreds of pounds just to be able to download the firmware that is already resident on the phone...

I can't believe it.

So this phone is actually going to get smashed into pieces to ease my frustration, having spent £80 getting the damn thing, and I'll just use a Plantronics USB headset, which DOESN'T charge a large service contract fee in order to get the drivers to make it run.

Unless someone else has another suggestion, of course... Or keys to a magic rabbit hole where man is at liberty to get the firmware files required for his device to switch on and function as it was intended to...

6. SampleX

Nebula...

I bought it SIPped... Ebay is a wonderful thing.

Allegedly it's all down to flashing the right firmware. Unfortunately CIsco want hundreds of squids to give you access to this software in the first place...

The plot is ongoing....

7. Nebula

Nebula New Member

I have full (legitimate) access to Cisco software and still have not managed to convert a 7961, the 7940/60's were easy.

8. ITWorks

ITWorks New Member

Check this previous posting:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/using-a-cisco-7941-7961-phone-with-3cx-2561.html

Mark

9. Martink

I got mine working with no problems.

you can find more info: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+phone+Cisco+79xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.