3CX and Cisco SPA 112

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by steve.davidson, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve.davidson

Hi,

I have successfully connected an SPA 112 to 3CX v11. It can call an extension and my VoiP provider but, when I call it, I cannot get the analogue phones connected to it to ring. If I ring one of the extensions and pick up the analogue phone, I can use the phone without a problem. Everything works except for it not ringing. I've played around with the following in the SPA 112 regional settings section but, still have not been able to get the ringing to work.

Ring Waveform - Tried Sinusoid and Trapezoid
    Ring Voltage - Used 70 as described on various website for the UK
    Ring Frequency - Used 25 as described on various website for the UK
    CWT Frequency - Currently using 400@-10

Any help would be very gratefully received.

2. Cjay

Cjay New Member

What kind of analogue phone (and plug/connector)? It's just possible the phone needs the ring voltage on a separate wire via a ring capacitor (which would be in the master socket).

3. steve.davidson

Hi,

I'm using a U.S. to UK adaptor ( i.e. RJ11 to BT telephone socket). It's a Nikkai RZ79L. It is fitted with a capacitor. This is plugged in Line 1 of the SPA 112. Plugged into that, I have a BT Converse 320 analogue phone which I'm using as a test phone.

Thanks for any help you can give me. The issue is driving me insane.

4. Cjay

Cjay New Member

I'm not familiar with the SPA112, but it looks like you have the ring parameters correct - though it wouldn't hurt if you try a higher ring voltage. If that doesn't work then you may have to breakout the wiring & diagnose...

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's probably the adapter you are using (unless the 112 is defective). It probably assumes that the set you are using has it's ringer wired across tip and ring, many phones, even in the UK, do. Go out and buy a UK Master socket, then follow the wiring instructions from this site. http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

If it still doesn't work, then I would consider returning the 112.

Ringing voltage will vary from about 70 to 90 volts, it can go higher in rural areas where the sub is a greater distance from a central office. Most electronic sets (not mechanical bells) will handle even low voltages. Using different frequency used to be used to ring certain sets on a party line, but most modern sets are happy with anything. Many sets in the UK are probably still wired so that one side of the ringer is brought out to a third lead, so that it is across ring and "ground", rather than across tip and ring. Using a master socket supplies that third lead on all subsequent sockets. In North America we used to use a separate bell lead that was tied to ground but that was all to accommodate party-line service (one tip, one ring), either two party, or multi party (both tip and ring as well as frequency being used).

If you have a voltmeter you can also test the RJ-11 lead for ring voltage (use the AC setting). It should be present on the two centre leads.

6. steve.davidson

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll try some of your suggestions. I wondered whether it was the SPA112 but, I have two more and they respond the same way. One of them is v04 technology while the other two are v02. It does not appear to make any difference. I'll test with the socket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.