• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX and Draytek 2800VG Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

daiablo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My VOIP experience is strictly limited to adding phones to existing VOIP systems by entering SIP details. I am however an MCSE with 8 years of experience so I'm fairly conversant with networking and the like. I recently read articles about how good 3CX was and thought I'd take a look.

Just to give you an overview of my setup and what I would like to do. We currently have a single PSTN line that we use in conjunction with some cordless DECT phones. We also have a reliable ADSL connection with good bandwidth. The ADSL router is a Draytek 2800VG which has support for VOIP systems - there are two RJ11 ports for connecting phones. We also have a couple of Linksys SPA VOIP phones available to us. We currently have a hosted VOIP account that we use for incoming calls by configuring a web client to either point to a soft phone client or re-direct to our PSTN line. What I would like to do if possible is utilise our existing VOIP account, PSTN line and the Draytek router to provide us with a better phone system.

I was hoping to configure the router so we can use it as a VOIP gateway and have the PSTN calls and the hosted VOIP calls come in through the router and also allow us to have multiple outgoing lines as at present we are limited to a single connection in the office. Once the basic system is in place I would then want to implement auto-attendant features and mailboxes and such as well as connect a couple of remote workers to us using VPN and the 3cx windows client.

I was hoping that somebody out there has a similar setup and can talk me through what steps I need to follow as well as any additional hardware/software/service that would be required for this set up to work.

I hope that all makes sense and apologies if I have used the wrong terms anywhere or caused any confusion!

Many Thanks,
Daiablo

Hey, I feel good for the first time. Very similar to me.
I have been in ICT for 30 years, but not as a techie. I run a small business from home (currently as a sideline) and also have "Home" use.
I therefore have about 5 PCs and Laptops (one we use as central storage, so call our server and is always on). We have 2 students staying with us so run a vLAN. We have a good ADSL (24Mg) with BeThere via a Drayteck 2820. We have an analogue fax machine, 2 x phone lines and a DECT phone and now an IP DECT phone (Siemens A580 IP - which I can highly recommend). The A580 will also allow you to create a "Survivable gateway" as it can be set up to run inside and outside the system symaltaniously. And a VoIP account too for outbound calls. I have installed the 3CX on the server PC as it is central and always on.

I am in the final stages of setting up, just some nasty habits in the system to over come and I'd like to get the Outlook and Skype integration completed - BUT it all works well.

In answer to your question: your only real cost is an FXO Gateway. That's the blighter that caused me the most grief and still does. The decent ones are very expensive. You can not use the FXO and FXS on the router, or atleast I and Drayteck (with whom I am working closley - they are great guys and have even built patches for me) have not been able to make it work (theyare going to include in development so watch out, could be a cheap solution on its way). I use my Router FXO/FXS for the fax machine, but that has another of those glitches. Connectivity works but when a fax is sent the 3CX system locks. Naturally nobody owns the problem, but at least Drayteck have sent the issue to their techies to look at patches if it is theirs at fault.

I went for a Gradstream GXW 4104 I have to say support is poor, but for small user like you and me it is the only job out there. Again inexplicably expensive. I got mine for about £150. The settings are for the US market so some research and begging to get the configs - William is very helpfull (sure he's reading this) and may look after you or if you go ahead I can help out with screen shots. William is helping me with a CLI issue - there is none!

In all, the 3CX will do all you want and more. the fun is setting it up.

Hope this helps for now....

Jonners,

That's fantastic. Thanks for the reponse - time to start pricing up a gateway then :-( Then got to convince the boss to fork out for it :)

Thanks again for the help.

Daiablo

Linksys by Cisco SPA3102

Hey guys,

Anyone have much experience with 3CX (7) and the Linksys by Cisco SPA3102 VOIP gateway? I notice it is one of the supported devices and is available from broadbandbuyer.co.uk for about £50.

Thanks,
Daiablo

Sorry Diablo
Don't have experience of that device. I did try the Lynxsys FXO. I too got mine from Broadband stuff. They do not have any techies or support so you are buying blind with them. I was directed by them to talk to the Lynxsys techies, but they did not know what an IP PBX was and said it could not work. I had to send mine back as it would not work on an IPBX setup, and I needed, or should I say wanted 2 ports for PSTN lines. I got my Grandstream from them (in PX), but as they could not help setting up I have been scouring the Universe for set up and config details.

incidentaly, discovered the reason why my fax does not work. grandstream FXO does not support outbound fax! Is on the 3CX website, hidden away. So that's one task off my list of things to do.

Hi
I have several Linksys 3102's up and working okay with 3cx, they are okay for small applications, but they require alot of fine tuning, ie if you are in the UK, you will need to obtain all the tone dial settings from BT's website and manualy enter them. Once this is done it works reasonable well as a PSTN gateway.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Jonners and Home.

Any other suggestions for a PSTN gateway in the UK. Maybe one that's easier to configure :) And hopefully nice and cheap so my boss doesn't flinch too much when I say the price!

Guys
Did you get sorted out in the end....?

I managed to get my Grandstream working a few weeks back with the work line attached, but I then plugged in my Home phone line once confident in its abilities...

Sadly I can get outbound calls on the Home line, but it will not answer the in-bound. The line rings for ages on the calling party and a spare phone hanging off an extension rings too, so the call is getting through. But the Grandstream does nothing, then suddenly it recognisess the call but sends a fax tone down the line.... CLI is seen too.

Don't know why one works and the other doesn't.

And yes, I tested the cable with a spare handset on the end and it worked fine for both in and outbound calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.