3CX and Google Voice

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by webmaster, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webmaster

Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten Google Voice to work as a SIP Gate (outgoing and/or incoming calls) with 3CX. If so, I would like to know how.

Thanks,
    Freddie

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've used an Obi110 as an interface, however...GV will be ending its ability, May 15th, to work with the Obi .
    http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html
    There is no way at present to set GV as a SIP service. We'll have to see if Google decides to move in that direction, the way Skype did.

3. webmaster

Thanks for the info. Am I to understand that 3CX does work with Skype as a SIP service? if that's the case, will i need to purchase credits with Skype?

Freddie

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3CX works with Skypes SIP service, if that is what you want to use. This service was limited to business, not sure on the current status, or if you plan on using for personal or business use. There is/was a 3CX Skype Gateway that allowed calls to "regular" Skype users, and if you have credits, to landline numbers as well. I suspect that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype/

However...this is no longer supported, not to say that it won't work, but you are on your own (no 3CX support) if you can't get it to work, especially on a newer version. Note that it requires that you use an older version of Skype, once you have that , be sure it is set not to update.

That said, I currently have it running on version 11 with no issue, and I did have it running on an early version of 12. I can't speak for the updated version.

5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Skype avails SIP for voice by adding "channels" to your Skype account. I want to say they come in at $18 USD/month.. but check with Microsoft for that. You can register those channels with 3CX as any other SIP trunk provider.

As for Google Voice, I use some guy's gateway service and it works just fine. I would not recommend this for any client of mine, however. It is for test/demo purposes at best.. not a production system. Though at times I configure it to work with 3CX, I currently have two GV "phone numbers" both provisioned on a Cisco handset at home.. mainly to keep them active enough and as a holding location until they are needed for another test/demo function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.