3CX and Grandstream GXW4104

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jasonhayes, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

I'm new to 3CX and having issues. We purchased the 3CX software and a GXW4104, everything works fine. BUT... The 3CX software shows the Ports/Trunks status using the wrong ports. This is really difficult to expalin, but if someone makes a call on port/trunk 1001, if you then check the status on the GXW4104, the PSTN Line shows the call going out on Line 4 which is 1004? Please see attached. This all goes badly wrong when we have more then two active calls as the 3CX software is using two ports/trunks the GXW4104 is using two PSTN Lines, both using different ones, therefore are using all 4 and no more calls can come in or be made.

Please can someone see the attached and give me some help! In the attached example, 3CX is using 1003 and the GWX41004 is using Line 4 (in effect 1004).

Attached Files:

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Can you provide capture of the FXO line page so we can see how the device is configured? Also, in 3CX, how many simultaneous calls are allowed per trunk/port? There has been quite a bit of discussion concerning the latter part as it seems intuitive and logical that the device being an interface to a PSTN line would be a one to one relationship and therefore the calls should be set to one.

However, I have found that setting it to one is limiting and that the number should be set to however many PSTN lines there are. I have several of these out there, the last a 4108 installed last week with 6 lines and all 6 are able to process calls.
    If you want to check that the line is connected to a specific port, and assuming that you have not changed the default settings of the 4104 (Channels Tab, Port Scheduling Schema, Item 2), then dial a number that you know and can observe the caller-id. Dial the string by inserting 99XNNNNNNNN where 99 is telling the 4104 the command to use a port, X is the port you specifically want and N is the number of interest to dial. You may need to modify your outbound rules to allow. Ideally, you should also be able to watch the port/trunk status page in 3CX at the same time.

I think you will see that the 4104 processes the command correctly and the caller ID will show that the line used is indeed the one PSTN selected, but what the 3CX status will show is something entirely different. It may use 10001, 10003 or whatever port it wants.

I do not know the logic by which 3CX determines what trunk to use and for the sake of argument assume it to be a round robin (RR) scheme by which it is constantly monitoring the trunks and when a call is being made outbound will automatically use the port it most recently polled and, if available, will use it rather than trying to determine a sequential order. Conversely, the 4104 is also doing the same with the PSTN ports if its logic is set to RR. This means that 3CX trunks may never match what might otherwise be an expected 1:1 relationship. Many think of the strategy as being similar to a hunt group, and in some cases it may be depending upon how the manufacturer designed the code. A Hunt to me usually means that depending on the state of a line, will look up and down based upon a stack of lines/numbers. If the first number in a stack- only down, if the last - only up. Middle numbers may be up and/or down. A RR is more akin to a clock in that the direction is always the same and whatever it first sees that is available is what it will grab.

The issue is the simultaneous calls and how it just seems so logical to make it one/line. No one seems to really have a grasp as to what this really means or how intrepreted behind the scenes and I suppose it possible that the screen is a generic screen that might be used for many different gateways just like the phone provisiong screen is the same for all the various flavors that can be used.

Try setting each line to 4 calls and then test and see what happens and don't get caught up in the screens and the order of which trunk might be used. In fact, it would not surprise me to see the same 3CX trunk showing more than once. Get 4 people to call an outside number where the call can be held open such that all four PSTN line are in use. Then reverse and have the four use their cell phones to call inbound (holkd the lines open) and see if again the calls make their way through. I do not know how the PSTN lines are configured from the carrier. If all are standalone with no carrier processing, then each number will need to be dialed. If you have hunt or busy-call forward or roll over, then you need to adjust accordingly as to how they are configured. My take is that given the GXW call routing capability, that when I set the number to 4 (as I would in your case) on each trunk, that I am telling this particular 3CX trunk, that it can use any one of the 4 lines that are active at the 4104.

Once you have confirmed that all inbound and all outbound are working, you can try your combinations of in and out simulataneously.

Of course, if you are really wanting a 1:1, there is a way to do, but this depends on the FXO line page set-up.

Try my suggestion and see how it works. Again, while it all may seem illogical, that is, in my opinion, based upon the max call/line question in the 3CX screeen. My assumption has always been that regardless of what it purports or seems to be, the settings i have used seem to work (for me) and I rely on the GXW to process the calls up to its maximum line input capability as where else will they go

3. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I have printed your reply off and will try everything. I was so happy with the 3CX software and I purchased a Gateway that was supported and it all worked well, untill everyone started using it! I purchased the full version and now a bit worried, it is not as good as I first thought. It worked perfectly in testing, as everything always does!

I have posted the info you requested, perhaps you will spot something while I'm trying you ideas..

Again tahnk you so much for replying, I was really worried, no one would reply.

Attached Files:

4. lneblett

Not sure that I see something, but I rather suspect that maybe you have tried some changes. In the first post, you show trunk numbers that start with 10001, but in the latter they start with 10000. If the latter is truly how the system is set, then it all looks good with regard to the 4104.

The only thing you need to do is to set the maximum number of calls to 4 for 10000, 10001, 10002, etc. in 3CX. To be on the safe side, once this is done, then restart the 3CX system to ensure that the changes get read and reacted to properly and start your testing.

Also, you may want to change the number of rings before answer. You currently have it set to 1 and this may not be enough time for the inbound callerID to get passed. You may need to set to 2 or 3. Please post the results of the testing so others will know how you fared.

5. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Everything appears better (after following your advice about Maximum simultaneous calls). I was playing with the settings, not helpful when you have asked for help on a forum and then post screen shots with different settings (sorry) and well spotted. Very worried when you check the Ports/Trunks Status and it doesn't match up with the gatewat, as in virtual Extension number shows several times, looks look you have lots of Ports/Trucks, when you know you only have four. I have now registered the licence, as was still on the free version. The options within MyPhone are fab. I'm having a funny issue with Call Queues (I don't have the call centre licence, just the mini), below is a screen dump of what is happening. Everything is fine, the calls come in and are answered, just the Extension Status shows twice and when the call is hung up, one of the two extension (shown in the status) remains connected (the phone can be used to make calls, if the call hangs up first you can hear it go dead), if you dial the extension, it is engaged), the only way to free it is via the 3CX Managment Console, Extension Status and click Disconnect Call. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. lneblett

With regard to the gxw, that's why the 3cx system labels them as virtual. It looks strange, does not feel right, but only because the paradigm of 1:1 is so hard to break.

On the queue issue -is it possible that you have two phones registered to the same extension...perhaps a hard phone and a soft phone?

7. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

100% no to two regsitered. It is happening to all Extensions?

8. lneblett

Does the same thing show if an internal extension is used to call into the queue directly?

9. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Yes, see screen dumps. This was Ext 21 dialing the Q and 25 picking up the call when the phone rang.

Attached Files:

10. lneblett

OK, I will have to defer to one of the others as I have not had occassion to use the queue. Guess I will have to play. I agree that it does not look right.

I also suggest you start a new thread with a new title so as to get more attention to this issue as others will still see the Grandsteam subject and won't reconginze issue has changed. Please change the title on this thread by adding (Solved) to the end....provided you think that it is.

When you start the other thread, post a screen shot of how the queue is set-up. Not having used one before, I am keen to learm. You might also indicate if the queue itself is functioning as intended despite the appearance of the status display.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.