• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX and ordinary 65kbps phonemodems....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux4power

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

nice to find out a free voip phonesolution. im working in an charity organization without a lott off money to spend on hardware, but seems we recycle old stuff, i have quit a lot off those older modems flying around with a double conection one for line and one for phone. Now my idea is as follows but im not sure it will work so i would like the oppinion off some people here.

My server where i installed the software on is a p4 1,7 with 1500Mb of memmory and 130Gb harddisk space running on WINLOWS XP PRO i would ratrher have using this software by ubuntu or fedoa or cent os so iff possible even there you may give some hints. thx

officlly we have 3 locations asswell ass many persons living outside the workplace, and miy idea is to give erverybody a account with 3cx can i putt now in every pc a older modem and connect a phone to it and use that as my internal phonenetwork.

there is no need to setup a external line with a phonenumber i want just to work with the extensions 100
101 102 etc....

are there any hints around?????

thx

linux4power

Hi there,
You cannot use a regular analog modem to attach your PSTN phone sets to a VOIP network. You need to buy what's called an FXS device; for instance Linksys PAP2-NA etc. Or you can forget about your traditional analog phones and get yourself SIP phones. The least expensive ones cost roughly $40, like Grandstream BT102, etc.
The next question is why do you need 3CX. Based on your brief description, you have limited hardware, it probably is used for other functions too.
Depending where you live, you might want to get yourself an InPhonex pay as you go account (you set it up with $10), which gives you 5 virtual VOIP numbers. All your calls within the 5 users will be free. If you ever need to call an outside number, you simply do so, it's going to cost you 2.5 cents per minute. If you need a real phone number so that people can call you from the normal telephone network, then you get free IPKall numbers that you assign to each of your virtual numbers. Of course, those numbers are not local numbers but washington state numbers, but who cares, they are free and nowadays you pay the same amount whether you call next door or across the country.
Now, if you have in excess of 5 accounts, for those additional ones, you get yourself free InPhonex accounts. They cannot use your pay as you go piggy-bank account, but they can get phone calls from all InPhonex users, or from outside callers if you do the same with individual free IPKall numbers. They can actually even call 800 numbers if they have to thanks to InPhonex's courtesy. Great company, great service, inexpensive. You shouldn't consider a PBX system, 3cx or other, unless you know that what you need is not provided by these inexpensive VOIP service provider companies.
Halea

You could also use Softphones like the 3CX VoIP Client, X-Lite or others... most softphones are free.

You can not use old modems to create a professional phone system. You have to use professional gateways such as Patton.

Also if you want to run linux, then you are on the wrong forum.... Linux based phone system can be found here http://www.asterisk.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louderapps
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.