• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX and VLAN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmazingFacts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been struggling with this for several days now and can't seem to make any progress on this.

How do you get your phones to work on one VLAN and the client software/softphone to work on another?

At the moment, I've got three NICs on the server.
1. 10.x.x.x that is a private connection to our telecom provider
2. 192.168.100.x that is our local normal network
3. 192.168.200.x that is our VLAN voice traffic network

Thank you to anyone who can help.

we haven't even tried... and have had no issues... we simply enabled voice vlan in out switches and it prioritizes based on mac address octets.

AF -

Give us a little more about the configuration - phones, switch models, network layouts, any static routes you've added on the 3cx server, what you've done so far (brief synopsis), etc

What you describe should work ok... in theory... unless THREE nics is a magic number that causes things to fail.

What version of 3cx?

Can the voice vlan route somehow to the network vlan or are the completely separate and no route connects them?

What SPECIFIC problems are you having? Registration? Audio? etc?

Any logs in the server you can provide?

Is there any particular reason you want a voice VLAN? What type of switch are you using?? I ask as we do the same as Cragreilly the switches we use can automatically put handsets in voice VLANS via the switch... Cisco, and Netgear both have inexpensive switches with this ability, and best part it is done by MAC or address so simply plug in handseats and the rest is done for you. I

You need to route between the vlans and then you dont need a network card for the voice server in the data vlan.

Depending on what switches your using you can route the vlans from the switch. PC's can then install the myphone application and talk to the server in the voice vlan....you still get the benefit of segregating your voice traffic.

I am also using your setup in my projects, works every time... 3 NICs, telco, voice, data (PC´s)

Thank you all for the assistance. After talking with our vendor, we have decided to kill the VLAN setup. The only thing we would be accomplishing with the VLANs would be reducing the amount of broadcast traffic being sent. Didn't seem to be worth the effort.

For the record, I am using Yealink T46G phones with version 12 of 3CX. I was trying to use the DHCP option 132 on the phones to boot them into the correct VLAN, but that never seemed to stick. The option 46 to provision the phone works great.

I gave up on that and just started to configure the phones manually to put them into the correct VLAN. Once I got all my NICs configured on the server, the phone worked great, but when I called Exchange for voice mail it was very choppy. It seemed like there was a problem routing information between the VLANs or something. We are running the server in Hyper V so that was another layer of complexity.

Also I wasn't sure what to specify in the various screens related to networking and phone provisioning. It seemed like I needed two different configs with one for the phones and the other for the 3CX soft phones.

Most newer managed switches will honor automatically all Layer 2 and some will honor Layer 3 QoS tags. Some unamaged ones will too. Make sure you tag RTP with DSCP 48 or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxFrank
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.