3CX and Windows Updates, Opinions?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lloydr1l, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lloydr1l

I always keep my systems on the network updated with the latest Windows Updates. However, in the case of a 3CX PBX system, I completely update the system before installing 3CX, but then leave it alone after that. My thought is the PBX is working and configured, this is the only purpose of this particular system, and introducing new updates will only increase the chances of breaking something.

So with that in mind, I was wondering what others did, and their thoughts on the matter. Do you regularly apply Windows Updates to your systems after 3CX installation?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of any specific updates that cause issues with 3CX. That doesn't mean that there isn't/won't be one, I just don't recall seeing anything in the 3CX forum on problems caused.

I certainly wouldn't be the first to apply a recently released update as there have been some that caused grief for some users and had to be "corrected". It is sometimes best to wait and let the dust settle..

Since the server/PC is probably connected to the internet, security updates are going to be a good thing, and should be applied. I, personally, do some research on what some of the other updates do. Some, such as a language packs, that you will never use, can probably be skipped and hidden. Others, introduced by Microsoft recently, seem to there only to collect data on how you use your computer (adding some of the same questionable information gathering "features" introduced in Windows 10). It's up to you as to how paranoid you are, or what you are willing to hand over to them.

There are a lot of sites that "review" recent updates, and if you are really concerned, you can easily find a number of opinions on them.

Many updates require your system be restarted, so applying them should obviously be done during off-hours.

3. lloydr1l

I wasn't implying there were any updates causing issues, but I was just curious what others were doing. All the advice you gave certainly makes sense, and for the most part I follow.

In my case, the systems are not connected to the Internet directly, nor is the firewall configured to allow access to the system. We do not use 3CX in a manner that would require it, and therefore, that is why I have resisted the impulse to keep the system updated, thus increasing the chance for an issue arising.

I was just curious how others viewed it. Thanks for your input.

4. 3cxBora

Have any noticed that a reboot of 3cx PBX after an update, the remote extensions are not connecting automatically back. We needed to power cycle the remote phones on some of them to reconnect. Remote extensions are using STUN.

Have anyone noticed this issue or is this not common?

Thx,
    Bora

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

How much time are you giving them to re-register. It will usually happen, on its own within 30 minutes, but, I have seen some makes of sets that do require a power down to re-registered. What make/model are you using? Are the ones having an issue all the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.